Fun Coding Competition

Pages: 12
The competition will be between now and February 28th. A very simple competition with NO reward, just for fun. Post name/team if you are interesting in joining.

Competition Rules:
Teams are allowed.
C++/SFML.
Have fun.
Must compile, all standards allowed.
List controls.
Create a *Tetris clone.

Scoring:
By the community , all are welcome to judge. Only positive votes, no flaming please.

Current Polls:
[name{team}] - [votes]
ubernox - 0
Disch - 0
NT3 - 0

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris
Last edited on
I'm up for this. put me down.
Do I have to join now and make that commitment? Or can I just submit a version at some point if I can find the time to piece it together?
I am in a similar position to @Disch, I would like to join, but I am uncertain as to whether I would have the time (as that would also involve actually learning SFML :D ).
Yeah you two are welcome to do that.
That is a nice competition idea, but I'm out because I don't use SFML and don't really have the time to learn it right now. Anyways, have fun with that.
^

Is there any reason to limit it to SFML only? Personally I would use SDL/Opengl if I had time to do it. I guess it would be harder to judge the source code if everyone was using a different library, just giving my 2 cents.
Last edited on
I figured it would be best to have a set library to use. SFML is a very popular and easy to use 2d graphics library. This way it makes reading the code and compiling it much easier than having to setup all the libraries that people may have chosen to use.
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)

A concern would be:
SFML: Mac/Windows/Linux.
SDL: Cross-platform portable.

Don't get me wrong, both are good!

Edit #1:
James2250, you're right; I've properly edit it now.
I remember making ...[...]... a few years ago and that was my deciding factor.

Edit #2:
The above is not relevant to our situation.
Last edited on
Where did you hear that?

As far as I know both SDL/SFML use opengl for their back-end work, they are both about as cross platform as each other (mac, linux, ios, etc).
A concern would be:
SFML: Windows only.
SDL: Cross-platform portable.

That is false. SFML is fully cross platform.
It is fine to limit it to one library. I was just stating I can't do it because I don't know how to use it. It is by far easier to build one lib to compile against, but this is based on the assumption they either don't have SFML or want to build the lib if they don't have it.
What do you mean "List controls"?
You want the program to tell you how to use it, right?
Or did you mean something more?
Must compile

That's really asking a bit much, isn't it? =P
You want the program to tell you how to use it, right?

Yeah. For example if you use arrow keys or wasd or some other random set of keys for controls. So if someone else would like to try it but isn't as familiar with coding and can't figure out the controls.
I figured that was kind of a given. Hard to play a game without documentation telling you how to play or use it. Or a F1 help screen that tells you how to do it.

You should never assume that someone has played it. You could have decided to go with a different control scheme. After all, before I programmed Pong, I had never played it.
Last edited on
Toy games often have that problem, though, so I thought it might be what giblit was asking.
Duoas wrote:
Toy games often have that problem, though, so I thought it might be what giblit was asking.

Sorry, with my interest in game programming, some things just naturally seem normal to me.
giblit wrote:
So if someone else would like to try it but isn't as familiar with coding and can't figure out the controls.

Wait, so you are wanting us to make them with SFML so people can build it themselves. So how is a person that isn't familiar with coding going to build the library, compile against it, and then play it. Now I'm confused.
Last edited on
Why can't someone else test them out at your house?
What? That didn't help my confusion. My point was, if someone is not familiar with coding then chances are they aren't going to know how to compile SFML in order to build the game to play it.
Pages: 12