• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Creating remote/iphone controlled lights

Creating remote/iphone controlled lightswitch

I don't know whether this is the right place to post this but I couldn't think of anywhere else.

This may be a bit trivial to some of you but I just wanted to start making programs that affect real life objects and things and thought this would be the best place to start

Anyway , I was thinking of making my own lightswitch with a sensor and then making a remote or mobile app.

I have no idea where to even start though.

So if anyone has any ideas or links or whatever to either

1. How to make the actual light switch
2. How to program the app
3. Anything else they think would be useful

Then I would be very grateful

It's kind of a neat idea to be able to control your lights with a phone app but, unless you have pets, a motion sensor coupled with an ambient light meter is the ideal replacement for a mechanical light switch.

The simplest designs I've seen for what you're talking about (that don't involve a dedicated device) require a raspberry pi controller on a wireless network with it's output tied to various solenoids to control the STDP switches (or stepper motors on rheostats if you prefer mood lights). This option does have some benefits, if you're brave enough to set up port forwarding on your router you could control the lights in your house when your not at home. This seems like it would be fun to mess with your roommates\siblings but otherwise I can't see much utility in it.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.