Group Project

Hey guys, I've been here and there, more there lately, and have been seriously considering doing a medium-large project. Here's the catch, I want a group, to keep me motivated. I don't need a whole community project, but at least one person. Someone who is willing to work in their free time, enjoy putting together whatever idea we come up with, and is just pleasant overall to work with.

What I would really like is someone who is serious enough that personal communication, outside of this site (Skype, phone calls, SMS, etc.), is okay with them, someone who has a somewhat artistic mind (I have no art skills whatsoever and have a horrible time coming up with ideas), and someone who can keep both of us motivated.

Skill level doesn't really matter, I do prefer someone closer to my skill level so I don't feel like I'm letting them down, but someone higher up could motivate me more to get on their level for the project, while someone lower could benefit from my experience as well.

I posted this in the lounge because I do want this to be someone in the community just looking for something to do. This isn't going to be paid, so it's definitely not a job. If multiple people are in, I'll take charge and collaborate between everyone to see where we can all go from there.

I really look forward to hearing from you guys, and gals (I know there are a few on here), so I can hopefully take my programming to the next step.
There's still Chess++ on github which consists of people from this community.
I make random contributions to various projects that wish to support Linux.
If the project is open-source and I like the idea, I might make some contributions.
and what kind of software would you like to create?
What kind of project? What language(s)/libraries are you considering to use? How big do you consider a medium-large project?
Noxzema wrote:
There's still Chess++ on github which consists of people from this community.
I make random contributions to various projects that wish to support Linux.
If the project is open-source and I like the idea, I might make some contributions.

I'd love to help on a larger project like that, but I feel as if my skills hail in comparison to everyone else that is contributing. I feel there are typically a lot of things I still don't know, and a community project seems to lose out on the personal communication I was talking about earlier. My goal from this project is to be able to communicate well within the project to achieve the desired goal. I want to learn how to work in a group effectively, and hopefully learn some more new things so when I decide that I want to help on a community project, I will be able to contribute more helpful code.

tath wrote:
and what kind of software would you like to create?

That's where I'm stuck. I've had some ideas in the past, and even currently, but I'm not motivated enough to work on them by myself. Ideally, any software would work. I was more so hoping that whoever wanted to help would have an idea and was looking for something similar. I'm open to almost any idea and willing to work out the design part of the program once we pick the idea we'd like to go with.

Mats wrote:
What kind of project? What language(s)/libraries are you considering to use? How big do you consider a medium-large project?

See above for project kind. Languages I'd like to stick with are C++ and C#. I have only dabbled in C#, however, and wouldn't mind learning more about the language, but I feel I would only be a hindrance in a program that uses C#. When it comes to libraries, I've worked with boost, wxWidgets, and a few others, but would prefer to stick with std and the two mentioned. Obviously, that is negotiable since learning a new library isn't hard, but would much rather not spend a month learning a new library unless it is going to be beneficial to the project (meaning that it can't be achieved with the aforementioned libraries). Size wise is irrelevant to me, I feel a program is never 100% complete due to optimizations, added features, bugs, etc. I just want to feel like I've achieved something, and be able to enjoy my time spent working on it.

I appreciate the curiosity guys, and all I'm looking for is something, to put it simply. I don't care if the program we work on has been made a million times over or has never been done. I don't care if 1 library is used or 20. With that said, I really enjoyed working 1-on-1 with some of the people that posted on the forum, helping them with their school work, working with them to create a program they had an idea about, and learning myself along the way.
i think we can though something up ;-).. i have sent you a pm
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.