• Forum
  • Lounge
  • How to install drivers when building a p

How to install drivers when building a pc?

So, I am ordering parts today and something is making me a bit anxious (*title*).
How do I install the drivers for the parts? I have no idea where to start. Do the parts come with installation discs? Please help me before I make my computer a brick haha.

New hardware comes with driver disks (unless windows has its own). Usually popping in the cd will autoboot and you can follow the on screen instructions.

The only way you will brick your pc is if you fit the hardware while the tower is still plugged in ;-)
Even if you do that, most motherboards are smarter than that now adays and hardware tends to be more versatile even if it didn't. It's hard bricking things now adays.

Drivers can come on the disk. If you're installing Windows, you'll generally have a basic setup that may or may not have network connections.

If you don't, use discs. You can also just download the latest drivers and transfer them via USB drive or similar.

If you do, just download the latest drivers and install them.

The vendors website will generally have the latest drivers. Exceptions are video drivers which go through the manufacturer rather than the vendor (nvidia, intel, or ati).
Even if you do that, most motherboards are smarter than that nowadays and hardware tends to be more versatile even if it didn't. It's hard bricking things nowadays.

I disagree, a short circuit can not only damage a electronic component but also weaken it.

The motto of that is, make sure your pc is unplugged and take precautions.
Thanks everybody. I found my video cards driver and put it on my USB stick. And I found the webpage for my motherboard ones, but have yet to download them (I heard windows takes a while to install, so I can do it then).

Any other tips on building?
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Well I presume your hardware is new and they will have drivers for them.

Intel, AMD, Nvidia and other ones.
If you aren`t 100% sure just buy the parts tell your hardware store to install them and install the drivers
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.