Intuition & random tidbits

I have a theory about intuition. I have a very good intuition, and I think it's less because I am intelligent and more because I have a load of random trivias memorized. In fact, I think I am only intelligent as a result of my intuition.

When I or someone else wants to know about why something is as it is, or how something works, I can generally give a reasonably accurate assumption or educated guess. How? I pull in all the random tidbits of information I know and use logic to formulate a theory that makes the most sense. I don't know why I am good at remembering random tidbits, but I am, and I am sure it is where my intuition comes from.

I've noticed that other people who are not very good at remembering random tidbits of information seem to have bad intuition, and genuinely cannot come to conclusions that seem obvious to me. I think detective shows are a great example of this - random tidbits of information come together with logic to generate accurate hypothesis.

I haven't done actual research on the nature of intuition, so this is all just from my intuition about intuition. What are your thoughts?
Intuition is considered to be quickly making a decision by using one's knowledge and past experiences to make predictions and assumptions. So, the more relevant knowledge and experience you have, the more likely your intuition is to be correct. You would be correct to assume that having more knowledge will make your intuition better.

However, the importance of relevance is massive. For example, try playing a game of Go against someone. You will see that in spite of all your tidbits of information, you will have no relevant information to draw upon to make intuitive decisions from and will not do well at the game. Only through study and play will your gain the relevant knowledge and experience required to intuitively make good moves.

As for gaining intuition. Anyone could improve their intuition by study and experience and the more stuff they do this, the better their intuition will be in general and the more they study a particular subject, the better the intuition in that subject. Who wants to study or do stuff that requires thinking though, when you can just get drunk and watch TV? =/
I think you both could stand to look up the definition of intuition.
MerriamWebster wrote:
a natural ability or power that makes it possible to know something without any proof or evidence : a feeling that guides a person to act a certain way without fully understanding why

Not sure this is quite intuition you're talking about.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intuition
Last edited on
That's the intuition I am talking about, but the wording of the definition is what I am disputing. I am always aware of why I come to certain intuitive conclusions, but only after the fact.
Wouldn't that be deductive reasoning, then? Rather than intuition?
It doesn't really seem so, I don't have to spend any time thinking to come to a conclusion, I just seem to know instantly.
Lexicographers are often very conservative when writing.

It covers their butts, because a dictionary purports to be the correct definitions of words, but no author can know every definition exactly. You can recognize words that give them particular trouble when you see recursive definitions... such as the one for 'intuition'.

What we call 'intuition' isn't magical 'knowledge without knowledge' [1]. All truth comes from somewhere.

Our brains are exceedingly powerful pattern recognition machines. Our conscious ability to follow patterns lies on top of all the processing going on underneath -- and necessarily so -- so yes, much of your 'intuition' is in fact recognition of some pattern you already understand.

What makes it "independent of any reasoning process" [2] or "without evident rational thought and inference" [3] is that you are unaware of the processes by which your brain has made the connections.

There are other sources of knowledge outside of our keen intellectual powers, too, to which we have occasional access, but, again, no lexicographer will write anything that suggests anything like that.

Hope this helps.

[1] Thundercats, HO!
[2] http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intuition
[3] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intuition
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.