Email

Pages: 12
Canis lupus wrote:
That sounds more like your mail client is not very good.
So you send an email to two people. Both of them respond to you and the other. You now have two emails out of context from each other - are you saying your email client puts them together when you respond to one of them?
Canis lupus wrote:
My ISP gave my first email address. There is nothing significant about your email address, just a standard way of communicating with you.
That wasn't my point. Have you ever looked into what it takes to get a new email?
LB wrote:
The problem with using email for creating accounts: how do you create your first email account? What's significant about an email account when you can just create new ones with ease?

You get one from the ISP (which I don't bother using), my bhxspecter one listed in my profile is basically for spam and website creation, and then I have one that I don't list linked to one of my three domains for professional uses.
LB wrote:
Have you ever looked into what it takes to get a new email?
It requires the same information as about 12 years ago. Name, age, username, password, address, security question, and optional phone or alt email for if you lost password.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
So you send an email to two people. Both of them respond to you and the other. You now have two emails out of context from each other - are you saying your email client puts them together when you respond to one of them?
My mail client does a very good job of filtering content and organising the flow of the related emails. It does not merge emails but I don't loose track of where they are going.

That wasn't my point. Have you ever looked into what it takes to get a new email?
Yes, it is simple the get a new email address. What is your point?
E-mail seems fine apart from the spam. I get a lot less than my friends and find it annoying. They must think it is dreadful! Perhaps a solution is to charge like $0.01* (adjusted per country depending on standard deviated mean wages) per E-mail sent after you have sent say, 50 in one day. I can't see a way of implementing this system that isn't flawed (unfortunately), but something like that could seriously reduce spam.

*And all profits from countries that already contribute towards it, go towards funding ITER.
Last edited on
I don't like email as a group discussion system. Rather, I find it confusing and non-intuitive. For instance...

I especially do not like mailing lists. e.g. I can't stand how lkml is actually split into about 100+ mailing lists where the expect you to both CC the correct mailing list(s) and all of the associated users. There's also nothing preventing you from making basic mistakes like emailing a mailing list then a user already registered to that mailing list... they would receive the email twice in that case, possibly confusing the recipient.

An alternative to email in group discussion is already here.. the thread-based forum.

One thing there isn't a (popular) alternative to is posting patches on a mailing list. If you use github, you can submit merge requests which shows a diff, tests the merge, and automatically does everything for you. If you don't use github, there are very, very few options as to how to provide patches.

Git actually provides a mechanism for sending patches but not receiving them. Mercurial does the same except has a somewhat functional MboxExtension that fetches from local email. Clearly this is flawed since configuration is painful to say the least but has to be changed every import and cannot be automated that well. There has to be an easier way.

But yeah, mailing lists suck. People use it for things it wasn't meant for, it can't be moderated as emails are sent per client instead of the client fetching it on request, and they were clearly meant for more bandwidth constricted days.
Canis lupus wrote:
Yes, it is simple the get a new email address. What is your point?
According to giblit, to create an email account reauires the same information as creating an account anywhere else, minus the email address. I don't understand the purpose of requiring an email address if it's the same as not requiring an email address.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
NoXzema,

Things may have possibly gone down hill a bit with mailing lists but I still suspect that it is due to poor mail clients and poor setup of the mailing list server. All the mailing lists I'm on don't allow non-member to post to them so non of this having to CC people in. My client threads mails better than forums do. I generally find forums to be a poor substitute for a mailing list.

...it can't be moderated as emails are sent per client instead of the client fetching it on request
Err, yes you can have moderated mailing lists.
//
//---------------------------------------------
//
LB wrote:
I don't understand the purpose of requiring an email address if
I will say it again it's "just a standard way of communicating with you." If you want notifications to be sent to you, it needs somewhere to send them. If you forget your password, it needs somewhere to send the link to reset it to.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12