Open Source Projects

Hi, I'm looking for a nice, small to medium sized Open Source project (on GitHub) for fun, knowledge, and experience.

I've looked at chessplusplus, but I'm not a member of the cplusplus.com community on GitHub and my compiler of choice doesn't support C++11 completely (VS 2013).

If someone wants to work on a small project and looking for programmers, I might be able to join them as well.
Last edited on
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
I suggest you take advantage of C++11 and get rid of VS 2013, if you dont wanna, I`m sure there is a way to use G++ on it or even Clang. Newer version.
Hmm I'm pretty sure VS2013 supports everything that Chess++ uses. You also don't need to be a member of the community to contribute. Just fork the repo, make your changes/additions and submit a pull request.
That seems really interesting helios, I may check it out. Are there any good Android emulators that you can recommend? I'd also like to point out that my Java skills aren't great by any means, so I'll most likely just be working on the C++ core.

EDIT: I never actually developed android apps before, what tools should I get?

@ResidentBiscuit Thanks.
Last edited on
Avilius wrote:
Are there any good Android emulators that you can recommend?

The Android SDK comes with an emulator.
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)
But the emulator is slow...
(slower than a actual device)

:(

And I don't feel like using a windows(device) version or virtualbox.
(They aren't accurate, the last time I've checked)
Last edited on
(slower than a actual device)
Well, yeah.

Although the target platform is Android, the C++ parts should build on any desktop OS with the necessary dependencies. This is precisely to avoid deployment to a physical or emulated device.

I never actually developed android apps before, what tools should I get?
For real deployment, you need the SDK (for deployment itself) and the NDK (for building).
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)
Takes about 5 minutes to boot up.

But you've got to use what you can get.

Are there any good Android emulators that you can recommend?

The default definitely does the job; simply slow boot and possibly slow response.

The secret solution is:
Vikas Patidar:
Android Development Tools (ADT) 9.0.0 (or later) has a feature that allows you to save state of the AVD (emulator) and you can start your emulator instantly. You have to enable this feature while creating a new AVD or you can just create it later by editing the AVD.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1554099/why-is-the-android-emulator-so-slow
closed account (z05DSL3A)
helios et al,

I don't know if it is capable of doing what you want but I came across this the other day, a pcDuino3[1], maybe a hardware based development platform would come in handy for you testing. It doesn't look like an unreasonable price either.[2]