A call to Linux users - Multi-OS DVD

closed account (L6b7X9L8)
Hey guys,

So I have been using Linux Mint w/ Cinnamon through a VM and I think it's time to wipe my good old XP off my laptop and install Linux on my hard drive.

I'm the sort of guy that hates waste, especially on DVD's. The Linux Mint ISO is ~1.1GB and I think it would be a huge waste to burn that on to a 4.7Gb Disk.

So, I was wondering if I could download a couple more distributions of Linux ( Open for suggestions. :) ) and put them all on the same disk, and be able to pick which one I want to install from the DVD.

After about 40 minutes of research I came across this link:

http://forums.justlinux.com/showthread.php?150078-How-to-boot-several-CD-iso-files-in-a-DVD

However me being new to Linux 99% of this makes no sense to me. So I am wondering if any of you have tried this before and help me with creating this Linux Compilation DVD.

Thanks in advance guys.
Another link I found that is A LOT simpler:

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/02/multicd-builds-multi-boot-cd-dvd-with.html

However this is for a Linux machine and not windows.
closed account (z0My6Up4)
I've used Debian for a few years now. I like the package system that makes it so easy to install new programs and source code. I've tried a bunch of Linux distributions in the past - slackware, suse, fedora, red hat (the original), mandrake, puppy and Ubuntu. But in my opinion Debian trumps them all. I guess it's all down to personal taste.

In response to your question - I'm not sure though how to go about putting it on a dvd with other distros - though I'm sure it's possible.
If you have a USB stick that you don't use you could use that instead of a DVD to boot from. I don't think you can put multiple images on at the same time but at least you are not wasting any DVDs.
Last edited on
@flint

I will look into Debian and see what it's about.

@Peter87

The problem with that statement is if. I had one knocking around somewhere but I can't find it, even then it's only 1Gb. :/

EDIT:

I'm not worried about using a DVD for Linux distributions, it's just only using a quarter of it before finalizing seems such a waste. If I can get at least 2 or 3 and use up more space then I'm happy with using the last 4 DVD's I have left.
Last edited on
The image that you burn is going to be obsolete pretty quick; You might try to use it again in a year only to find that your distro is on a newer version. The image will work, but there is no need to hold on to old data.

I would use the DVD to make a backup of my personal things before attempting the new install.
Are DVDs not rewritable?

But yeah, if you have a flash drive just boot from that. You can pick one up one Amazon for just a few bucks. They're super nice to have.
Are DVDs not rewritable?

Oh yes. Probably so. Hmm, that means that old CD with a Debian distro of mine isn't trash....

I haven't burnt anything in so long, I forgot they can be re-writable. CDs at least, I've never burnt a DVD in my life.
Last edited on
Yeah me neither, that's why I ask :)
Hey guys,

Welp the Debian installation DVD was 3.6Gb so I burnt that off and I'm installing it now, the steps were weird and it didnt seem to have my network driver which sucks. The other thing is that it didn't recognize my previous partitions so I think I have lost 200Gb of movies and tv series haha what a bummer!

But hey new OS, new start :)
The other thing is that it didn't recognize my previous partitions so I think I have lost 200Gb of movies and tv series haha what a bummer!

As in, it wiped out those partitions, or you just can't see them from Debian?

BTW, hop on IRC.
Hey RB sorry for the late reply.

When I was installing from the disk and it asked me to select what HDD I wanted to install it on, it just said something like SCSI 0, 0 232Gb FREE SPACE

Where as on XP I had D: which was my OS partition, the one I wanted to format and overwrite and partion Z: which was my data partion filled with games, films, tv series, a bunch of txt files with my username and passwords for everything come to think of it, my picture collection, funny and brutal gifs etc etc.. Debian is installed now and it appears it's all gone and I have a single partition which seems weird.

I've been thinking about it and I don't think formats do a zero fill so I'm thinking maybe only 5.6Gb of my data has been overwritten by Debian and I'm hoping I can recover the rest? At the end of the day all I want is my Red Dwarf that torrent was 30 bleeding gig!

I can't come on IRC until I can find a way of downloading my network driver without having my network driver to connect to the Internet with. I was hoping I could of downloaded on my phone but Apple is crap.

Just like my software I should of thought this through >_<

On a good note Debian looks very nice! It's unfortunate GCC isn't auto installed I can't do anything without the Internet.
Hmm, you should be able to use a wired connection on your machine without issues. It's generally just the wifi drivers that aren't installed by default, at least on debian. Debian is very particular about which drivers they include. "Nicer" distros (Ubuntu, mint, elementary, etc) tend to include a lot more drivers.
That's what I'm going to test now. I don't have a working Ethernet cable so I'm walking to my friends as we speak to hijack his computer haha, still got about an hour walk but it's pretty nice out at 4 in the morning :)

Any ideas about why it didn't see my existing partitions?
It's Debian, so you'll probably have to manually mount them first. This is why I recommended you start with Mint :)
Linux Mint doesn't mount automatically existing partitions either (I mean NTFS partitions at least), but it can be configured for doing that, the same for Debian.
Hey guys! Just got my Wifi working after hours of crap. Turns out my chipset wasn't realtek, it's Broadcom! Installed the package, mounted it using some modprobe wl and viola! :)

I couldn't care less about loosing 200Gb of files now I can get them all back it just takes time.
ResidentBiscuit wrote:
Are DVDs not rewritable?

DVD-R and DVD+R can only be written once.
DVD-RW and DVD+RW can be rewritten multiple times
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.