PC and Programming Setup/Builds

Hello, I'm just curious on how your PC-setups/builds currently look at the moment.

Post pictures and things of that nature, hopefully when this topic picks up speed I can manage to post a picture of mine (as pathetic as it is :P). Also be sure to post IDEs of choice, as well as OSes.
Last edited on
I don't need to post pictures.

Computer: Compaq Presario C751NR Laptop
IDEs/Editors: Geany (main), QtCreator, Code::Blocks, nano, sublime, gedit, kate

Nothing worth posting as it is the default laptop you could get back in 2006.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147763

Need to buy a new one though as it is finally starting to act up on me. Today it suddenly got so hot that it shut off on me twice.
Last edited on
Working on a new one.
AMD FX8350
Nvidia GTX 760 4GB
2x4GB RAM
1TB HDD 7200RPM
120 GB SSD
Dual Boot Windows 7 Professional + Some Linux distro, probably Ubuntu 14.04

Just need the graphics card and it'll be done.

Currently, I use a HP DV7-4285DX laptop. I run Linux Mint 16 on it.
Current setup is:

CPU
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo)

Graphics Card(s)
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
PowerColor PCS+ Radeon HD 7950 3GB

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

Hard Drives
Intel 335 Series Jay Crest SSD (240 GB)

Motherboard
ASUS M5A97

OS
Arch Linux
Windows 8 (which I regret buying since I never use it... but the intention was for development)

http://imgur.com/j6Cjg7o

And yes, it is dusty.. damn thing collects dust as its day job. I need to get a filtered AC unit in my room or something. It's hard to keep such a small cluttered room clean.
Last edited on
I just built mine last month:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Six Core

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 TI 2 GB

RAM: GSKILL DDr3 8GB

HDD: Something Seagate, don't remember, but it is 1TB and 7200rpm

Motherboard: Same as NoXzema; ASUS M5A97

OS: Windows 7, I hated Win8, and Win7 is a lot better for gaming. I don't know how my computer will handle two OS's, so I haven't gotten Linux yet. Would I be able to run it?

I will upgrade to 24gb eventually, maybe get a better CPU, and I need a new PSU, for mine is only 400W (cheaped out on that).
I have like, 6 fans in it though, so I never have a problem with overheating.
Last edited on
Heh, AceDawg your build is almost identical to what I was going to build. I just had a larger PSU in there, because Newegg had a nice sale on a 750W PSU. After that, I decided to just wait a bit and buy the GTX 760, and FX8350 instead of the 750Ti and 6300.
Yeah, Newegg had the sale on the 400W, and I didn't think I would need more. I will eventually after all the upgrades I am planning, but for now I haven't had any problems. I was on a tight budget, and I still went over by $100 (the whole thing cost me $966, including monitors and Win7.)

Unfortunately, I have to do all the odd jobs 13 year-olds hate doing to get more parts. Is this a thing all computer builders deal with? Wanting to tinker more and more?
I already had a nice monitor laying around, and got Windows 7 for free through my university lol. But yeah, that 750Ti is super low power and still performs pretty damn well, so 400W will be fine for now.

Is this a thing all computer builders deal with? Wanting to tinker more and more?

I believe so lol
closed account (N36fSL3A)
AceDawg, I actually made ~500 dollars just doing odd-jobs and programming projects for people for ~35-65 dollars an assignment.

Sometimes it involved doing people's homework however.
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)
Is this a thing all computer builders deal with? Wanting to tinker more and more?

Yes, until you've built around 20 or so units and gone through four or five generations; that was when I had enough.

My first computer was a 800MHZ Intel P1; spent around 90 dollars.

PC - Setup:
My newest computer I have built: (DEC 2012)
i5-3570k + z77-g41 + hd7850 + 4GB gskill + 500 GB WD + 1080p cheap monitor + antec gx500 tower + mouse/keyboard + 530watt PSU + h_212_Plus + 4x 120mm antec tower fans

IDE - Setup:
MinGW for C++, Eclipse for Java and Android development and a bunch of other junk I have not touched in ages.
I had an old monitor lying around (an old Dell Dimension one from like 2002) and I couldn't live with that or live without two monitors, so I bought ASUS monitor for like 200 bucks.

I actually made ~500 dollars just doing odd-jobs and programming projects for people

Wow. I have never tried any of the jobs in the job forum on this site, due to it already being taken or it being for some big company
In my spare time I do programming jobs similar to the side-jobs that Fredbill does. They make me a good amount of spending money.

By the way, your builds put mine to shame. :P

I fried my previous 1k dollar build, (I don't even want to get into that...), so I managed to throw something together with an old Dell Optiplex 745 (there were a whole bunch being thrown away), just upgrading the processor to a quad core, and changing the GPU. It works great so far, no problems yet.

My CPU is an intel Q6600 and my GPU (which I will soon upgrade) is a relatively weak Geforce GT 430 Fermi.

After I get a GPU upgrade, I plan on saving up for a higher-end build (if I'm patient enough).
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.