OS server?

closed account (NUj6URfi)
Does anyone here know how it would be possible to have a server that you connect to, and then in a vm of course, choose an os and have all the processing and hdd space on the server? I looked at vsphere but dont really understand it. The client side computer definently would need good ram and wifi connection.
It sounds like you want to setup a server for a thin client solution, is that correct? There are two ways that I am familiar with to do this.

One is to boot the client side PC to a minimal OS and then connect to your server through a web page using something like Citrix Reciever. From there it pretty much feels like an RDP session to the end user. IMO this one is the superior solution since it allows you to access the host server off-site by using something like a VPN client.

Another is to boot directly to the OS on the server with PXE boot option (pronounced "pixie boot"). This requires you to be on the same physical network as the server, but saves you from having to setup a functional OS on each of the client machines. NOTE: PXE boot is an option that is supported by almost all modern NICs but it is often not enabled in BIOS by default so you probably wont see it in the boot options menu until you enable it.
Neither of those options would work for multiple OSes which is what I would like. Also, I could use a rds to windows which would have a vm containing the OSes but wouldn't prefer that. Then I would have one OS, the client, rdsing to another, vming another. Thanks for replying though.
Last edited on
Do you mean like a type 1 hypervisor?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hyperviseur.png
Wouldn't Amazon EC2 make it?
@helios

A type–one hypervisor sounds perfect. Do you know of one that could send the OS over the internet to a different connection and have a client program, display and control the OS? And if it could be free that would be perfect.
Last edited on
Generally speaking, a hypervisor will only manage the guest OS instances. Any other features are up to each guest OS.
In the particular case of Hyper-V, it provides a remote administration interface that lets you control any OS as if you were in front of a physical computer, but it's very awkward to use. RDP or even VNC are very much preferable.
Xen is another hypervisor, which is free.
Do any other hypervisors support a remote administration interface? Hyper-v doesn't look like it supports to many OSes.

EDIT: I don't like rdp because that doesn't allow you to switch the OS. I did find a page on serverfault linking to a citric blog saying how to control xen server using ports. Is that what I want or am I misunderstanding this? Just google xen remote and you should find the link.
Last edited on
I don't like rdp because that doesn't allow you to switch the OS.
Using bridged virtual network interfaces, the OS instances appear on the network as physical machines, so to "switch OS" you merely connect to a different IP.
Thanks for all your help Helios. Could you link me to a tutorial to do that with xen server please or tell me how to?
Nope. Sorry. I know about it as much as you do.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.