Indie games

What language would be best to learn to build little indie games such as braid, fez, or little meat boy. I really want to start this and don't know what language to use. Any tutorials you know of you can post the link.
This is a harder question than it looks. It depends on your goal really.

Is this a throw away experiment? Use high-level engine wrapper and python/lua/java and be done with it.

Is your goal to increase your knowledge of the language used? Use C/C++. Most low-level interfaces in this case are interfaced in C. Engines tend to be interfaced in C++. Nothing wrong with a mix of the two. Or I dunno really because I don't know what language you actually want in this case.

Is your goal to increase your knowledge of graphics rendering in general? Use an OGL/DX wrapper with python/lua/java, as the fundamentals stay the same across any language (especially since most are just 1:1 API mappings or with very lite wrappers).
Last edited on
Learn at least up to intermediate kinda level C++ to give you a great base to work from, then use a game engine (such as Construct 2 or Game Develop) to make the game in.

Links:
Construct 2: https://www.scirra.com/construct2
Game Develop: http://www.en.compilgames.net/
Yeah I want to do graphics and make it look nice I want to work on one project for a while and finish it then keep it.
I'd say if you wanna just "jump right in" then use C# with the Unity3D engine, you should be able to do most things in that unless you have a really specific thing that you want to put into the engine but I imagine you could just set a script up to do that again.

My goto choice though is C++ just because I don't like how they changed the rules and syntax for C#.

//C++
class Class{
public:
    int var1;
    int func1();
private:
    void func2();
};

//C#
class Class{
    public int var1;
    public int func1();
    private void func2();
};

There's quite a few things like that which I really don't like about C# (but these are all because they're the same in Java and C# is basically a copy)
C#... brrrrrrr!
if you want to develop cross platform games with one code base I would suggest Haxe and Openfl, the idea of haxe is that it can compile to other langs including c++, AS3, python, java, js, php and more. Openfl (Open Flash Library) is a haxe library similar to flash and let you build to most haxe targets like android, ios, desktop, flash, html5, ouya, Wii U, but the problem with it is the education resources but it's very similar to AS3 syntax so learning as would help also itsn't neccessary. Developing 3d games is also possible through haxe
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.