• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Best industry-specific languages to lear

Best industry-specific languages to learn?

Hi all,

Currently on summer break from college. Since there is a substantial difference from academia and industry/production programming (from what I've heard online), I wanted to see what the best industry-relevant/specific technologies I could learn to help prepare me, or maybe even help me get a programming job.

My most familiar languages (at the moment) are C, C++, C# and Java - I've played around with .Net a little bit, as well as with jFrames in Java, and I'd have to say, they were both pretty fun! My current focus is solely on trying to be the best I can at the languages I've mentioned.

Thanks!
Last edited on
There's a ton of popular frameworks for Java. I really wouldn't worry about learning any of them on your own, since whatever job you get will train on what framework they use.

Not sure about C#, I've never used it or even talked to somebody who uses it. I do know it is popular, though.

C++ seems to not have nearly as many 3rd party enterprise level frameworks, but knowing Boost and the STL is definitely recommended. I've talked with recruiters, and I guess it's hard enough to find fresh graduates who even know the basics of C++. So really, if you are halfway competent in C++ you'll have a huge advantage to a lot of your fellow graduates.
Although it's not specifically related to this thread, I actually got my first programming job interview!

I didn't think I would get anything, given my lack of experience/education, so that was nice. It's for a smallish telecommunication company. I will probably be nervous about the interview, but I'll just be honest, while at the same time staying confident in my skills, and my ability to learn to fill in gaps.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.