Unhealthy Masculinity

Pages: 12
So, actually had a discussion about homosexuality in a Dunkin' Donuts while on vacation with a stranger.

I was not aware of this but people are more comfortable with female homosexuality than male homosexuality.

As a straight male, I can agree! Jokes aside though, there's no logical backing behind this. So another discussion was brought up...

Males are generally brought up to be "masculine". So while women bask in caring for their skin, hair and physique, men simply do not. They are not taught such things by default. Looking back on my own childhood, I actually gained stretch marks during my puberty years due to large increase in weight. Bringing that up with my mother resulted in laughter! I didn't really think about it at the time but to be frank...

I'm probably both more unhealthy and considered uglier because I was raised to be masculine.

Now, I don't really consider myself that ugly but that statement above kinda worries me. Were things always like that? My cousin who has modeled before was actually taught to handle his diet from his parents but his hair and skin from his various girlfriends or mother...

So anyways, the point of this is that it should be taught in public school! Taking care of yourself is important to everyone. Are you really going to teach accounting or the various Shakespeare's rather than keeping oneself healthy?

A continuation of this in another thread as otherwise it will be off-topic.
I don't think masculinity has anything to do with hygiene.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Should parents pop out a sprog and offload all responsibility of its education to the system? Hell no.
I don't really agree with your theory so much. The way women are raised and pressured to be so concerned with their looks is actually a bad thing in my opinion. It causes a lot of unhealthy eating disorders, depression, and excessive use of makeup. Plus, the statistics seam to show that there are slightly higher obesity rates among women than men.

They should probably teach basic nutrition to kids though.

I think they should also teach about some of the possible hazards out their, such as toxic chemicals. I remember when I was 15 years old, I was given an old car from my uncle, but I had to fix it ( my other uncle who was a mechanic was going to help me ). Anyways, I was washing all of the parts in gasoline without any gloves or anything like I was washing dishes. Turns out that's an extremely unhealthy thing to do.

Last edited on
They should probably teach basic nutrition to kids though.
They didn't have the food pyramid chart when you went to school?

I think they did, but from what I can remember, the amount we were educated about nutrition was pretty minimal, and I don't think very many of us payed any attention.

They did for me. And I was always appauled at how much they expected me to eat.

6 servings of grain a day? I don't have 6 servings of anything a day. No wonder obesity is such a problem.
I think a culture of masculinity in a traditional sense fosters poor mental health even moreso. "Man up" is sometimes offered as an alternative to "seeking treatment".
Stretch marks happen when the skin can no longer keep up with the growth of the underlying structures. To get them during puberty it's enough to have been just a bit overweight, straddling the line of ambiguity regarding its healthiness.

Obesity is negatively associated with an image of masculinity. Shouldn't we observe the opposite trend if your hypothesis was correct? I.e. people signing up their kids on gyms or something.
Grey Wolf, unfortunately, a lot of parents expect public school to do so. While the parents should intervene if they think they can do a better job, I think public school education should be pretty comprehensive.

Also Grey Wolf, it's honestly not fair on that child for his/her parents to pop him out and pretty much put him on his own. I can tell you first-hand it wasted about 8 years of my life and the few times they did actually interact with me will probably require therapy in later years. Even though I didn't live in a mud hut, I sometimes cannot stop thinking about how much time I had wasted in my childhood learning absolutely nothing while my mind and body rotted away. Hell, I'm super thankful for a select amount of friends who nudged programming on to me or I would quite literally have no skills.

Parents aren't really that great of parents from my experience. I've seen more children treated like a nuisance than someone who carries on your will and mind. Most people can't even drive safely on the road. You really think most people can get parenting right?
NoXzema, there should be social services that aid parents be parents else remove the children from the home (if absolutely needed). Public education systems as surrogate parents is a crap idea.
It's not a crap idea just because you say so. Socrates devised a similar plan in the "Utopia" discussion, except that was more extreme where children were ripped away from their mothers and given generic living quarters and education on how to live and thrive. I'm not even saying that's a bad idea to be honest.

Why is it a crap idea exactly?
Why is it a crap idea exactly?

@ NoXzema: You're essentially saying that boarding schools should be mandatory. In addition to wiping away any hope of the child retaining their cultural identity; your placing even more responsibility on faculty and staff, a lot of whom can barely do their current job. What if as a parent I don't think that the methods being taught for hygiene as an example are adequate? It's bad enough that I have to spend so much time undoing the damage my kids last teacher did when she was "teaching" her math. There is no way I would want that same person teaching kids how to wipe themselves. A child's primary education should always come from their house hold. You're experience was an unfortunate and unique circumstance.
Last edited on
I've already covered that. The idea is for people who simply don't have the time or want to teach their kids diddly.

And the idea that you think my experience was "unique" is beyond baffling. Have you seen the real world?

Seriously, that asshole who just cut you off in traffic or just said something incredibly stupid on youtube, probably has a kid or two. They are all over the place.
Being a bad driver or rude on the internet does not equate to being a bad parent.

Teach the adults to be parents not the kids to be adults.
The idea is for people who simply don't have the time or want to teach their kids diddly.

There are opt-in programs that cover this need; I know this for a fact because I volunteer for one of them. Your experiences may not have been individually unique to you but they are not the normal case.
What program is that Computergeek01?
What if the parent think they're sufficient and they're not?
What if the parent doesn't feel like they have to learn to parent a child?

The list goes on, and on, and on. How do you know my case isn't normal? Have you been in every home? Have you asked everyone about their childhood?

errm
...there should be social services that aid parents be parents...
Why is your standard of "sufficiency" better than mine?
What program is that Computergeek01?

In my case, that would be the scouts.

As for everything else I seem to be mincing my words and making you angrier then I intended. So I'll just say that I'm sorry for that and bow out of this thread now.
Last edited on
Pages: 12