Are these good books?

I found these books you can buy together for a
good price on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-C-Through-Game-Programming/dp/1598633600/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

If you scroll down a little you can see the "Buy together" book list.
They are probably good books but you are getting ripped off about $20.

You don't need a new book off of amazon. Just find one that is like new for half the price. They still read the same. Who cares if the cover has a little crease.
( I got a $40 book for $4 + shipping almost brand new )

My calculations show that you only need to spend ~$36 + tax to get all three of those.

Edit: My bad you need to pay about $12 shipping. Still you are saving money.

Last edited on
Well... no joke... I own every one of those books listed. Which one are you looking at buying? Beginning C++ through Game Programming will teach you C++ fundamentals through creating small text games and components, but it lacks the in depth coverage of the C++ language, STL, etc... that you need in order to actually develop games. Let me know which ones you're interested in and I can give you my book review :).
I was planning on getting the bundle. All three.
Anyone?
Who cares if the cover has a little crease.

I read this as "Who cares if the cover has a little grease." and thought "Ew, I do."

Luckily I reread it. :)
Last edited on
Regarding my first response, I misunderstood which books you were referring to, I do not own the Game Maker book. If your goal is to develop games with graphics, then I don't really recommend any of these books. Again, Beginning C++ through game programming isn't a terrible book, but it will not properly prepare you for game programming. The game makers apprentice is completely pointless to buy and the fact that amazon even bundles that book with a real programming language makes no sense. The book is about the Game Maker game creation tool which is total garbage and has nothing to do with learning C++. As far as the Ultimate Guide book, it will give you a look at the process and some of what it takes on the design side, but it's really unnecessary to create games. It's more of a book for someone that has never played a game before in my opinion. I would take a look at a C++ book that purely focuses on the language and provides a deep dive into why it works the way it does. Without that fundamental skill set you will not be able to effectively learn and use any of the Graphics APIs available.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.