Please recommend beginner resources for learning game development

I really want to know about the different components in a game/engine and how they relate to one another, as well as the design patterns and mathematics involved. I glanced over a few books on the subject and some do a good job explaining different parts of a game but fail to explain how each part relates to the whole via code, if that makes sense...

Here's a for instance: I read a book that has a great sections on UI and input but doesn't even mention how those two things interact in code. It shows an example input class but i'm left wondering, where is it to be instantiated and how is it accessed in other parts of code?

These questions tell me that i'm missing some fundamental knowledge elsewhere. So what do you all think? How can I learn game programming from the ground up?
You should move this to the General or Beginner sections.

Aceix.
I've seen this site recommended here before - http://www.gamedev.net
The best book I have read on the subject of how the whole game engine relates to each other is http://www.amazon.com/Game-Engine-Architecture-Second-Edition/dp/1466560010/ref=dp_ob_title_bk (I read the previous edition but this is the new one and am sure it is just as good).

Though I wouldn't really recommend that book to a complete beginner in game development. Instead you might want to get the hang of the basics of game development first with a book like http://www.amazon.com/SFML-Game-Development-Jan-Haller/dp/1849696845 . This book walks you through a complete game built in SFML and C++ and in my opinion does one of the best jobs at walking your through completing a little 2D game. (Though it doesn't show all the source code in the book so you will need to download it to follow along better).

Both of those are good books in my opinion depending where your skill level is. If you have some experience with different aspects of game development and just want to know how they work together I would go with Game Engine Architecture, otherwise if you are pretty new to game development I would recommend the SFML book.

Hopefully this helps give you a idea on some books that might help, otherwise can recommend a few more if you are still looking for more.
Cool I'll have a look at that first book. I do have some experience with different parts of game programming and I even wrote a couple simple games before but my code is anything but elegant.

And I already know about gamedev, in fact most of my knowledge comes from their tutorials.
another resource would be devmaster.net. The devDB is a nice tool.
Of course there are many good resources to start as others have mentioned. But i would recommend starting game development with a game engine.

My suggest is UE4. If you dont have money to afford monthly price, you can start with Unity free which dont have c++ support. You can use c# with Unity which is very good for beginners and have thounds of pages at mMicrosoft's site.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.