Rethinking file access for SSDs

Keep in mind I know next to nothing about how file systems, hard drives, and solid state drives work.

A limitation of file access is that there is no way to insert or remove in the file unless you are at the end - instead you have to rewrite the file. This has to do with the limitations of how files are stored on hard drives - it's very difficult to implement such a feature as insertion or removal in the middle of a file.

Solid state drives, on the other hand, are much more flexible. You should easily be able to devise a new file system that allows for easy insertion and removal of data in the middle of files. I assume, but do not know for sure, that such technology already exists (possibly for research purposes or specialized contracts). If this becomes practical and publicly available, how do you think higher-level file access APIs will be affected?
Last edited on
RW file systems, indistinctly of the medium, implement files as linked lists of buffers. Inserting in the middle of a file takes O(1) over the file size. The cost is that you get a little bit of wasted space at every point of insertion. Similarly for deletion.
All file systems that I can think of (except those for optical media) work like this. They have to, in order to support fast appending. Why they don't support fast insertion or prepending, I don't know.
For some reason I knew that and still wrote what I wrote in my OP.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.