• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Looking for tutorial for Final Fantasy 1

Looking for tutorial for Final Fantasy 1-6 like game

Hello there!!!!

So I've been searching far and wide on the internet today, and I cannot seem to find a suitable tutorial for a Final Fantasy like game. Does anyone possibly know of one that's done in either C++ or Java? I want to start making a game kind of like any of the Final Fantasies that were before the Playstation. I know that they are gigantic games and I don't plan on making a full game at first. I want to start with maybe a town or two and a dungeon all with an outside world map with random turn based battles. I don't want to use any engines. Thanks in advance.
Hm... didn't you create a Pokemon game a while ago? Building off of your previous source code should be trivial to create a final fantasy game.
That was definitely not me. Never been interested in Pokemon.
I guess I'm thinking of the wrong person then.

Have you started your project? What are you having problems with?
Which one do you want to recreate? They have different features and first three games were simple turn-based. Fourth had an ATB system under the hood and visible meter was introduced starting from fifth.

First of all select graphic engine you will use. Do not create it from scratch, or you will never finish your game.
I suggest SFML: http://www.sfml-dev.org/
I don't know of any tutorials but I'm pretty sure the combat systems are well documented.

I think any good tile-based RPG tutorial would do for starters.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Recommended read: http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/reverse_design_ff6_2.html
MiiNiPaa: I actually was planning on using SFML(If I go with C++) for the graphics. When I said no engines I meant like Unity, Unreal, or RPG Maker. And as far as which one I was leaning more toward 1-3 to keep the battle system a little more simple.

Avilius: I have not started yet, I'm still kind of in the pre-planning stages. I haven't even really decided if I'm going to use Java or C++.
Last edited on
Final Fantasy series (1-10) are written in C (Not Java / C++)
Nowadays many game engines help you start your game easily. You can give cocos2dx a shot if you're familiar to C++.
liuyang: You obviously did not read my Post completely. I do not want to use any engines. And who cares if they were coded in C. I'm not writing an exact copy of anything. I just want to make a game that is similar.
Final Fantasy series (1-10) are written in C
Incorrect. FF I-III were created for Famicom and all games were written in assembly.
IV-VI were created for Super Famicom and same could be told about them.
FF VII - IX were created for PS1. Official developer tools are supporting both C and C++. As PC ports uses C++ (or at least built with C++ compiler) we can assume that there were traces of C++ in original console game (However I doubt that there was something more than "C with classes")
Never was interested in PS2 programming, but I assume there is some subset of C/C++ used as well.
Okey I might be wrong about the early versions. But I can assure you that FF X/X-2 are written in C. Most recent HD remaster version of X/X-2 used C++ for the Phyre engine.
@twiggystardust cocos2dx is a library mainly help you on graphics / physics / audio. You can call it a game engine only because it helps you to create game. However it doesn't contain any game logic, you'll have to write your own.
At least, you can avoid being disturbed by the dirty graphics code.
liuyang:I wasn't referring to cocos2dx, I was referring to you saying "Nowadays many game engines help you start your game easily." But If I was going to use C++, I am already familiar with SFML, which is sounds like cocos2dx is the same thing except I'm not aware if SFML has a physics platform or not.
Last edited on
Sorry that I raised some confusion by calling it Game Engine, actually I mean graphics engine. SFML is good to start with.
To build a town, I think you'd better use some editor. Try google TileMap.
Good luck.
Twiggy, don't worry about a tutorial or anything. Just play a few games, and think about how the systems interact with each other. First start with the map. How does it interact with characters?

Do not do too much planning. You only need a vague idea. Don't put too much thought into it, because chances are, you'll rewrite it. Over engineering will be the death of every project you complete. Some things look great on paper, but in an actual implementation, it might suck.

A quote from myself a while back:
Avilius wrote:
Here's a great tip that will take you far:

Hack it until you get it right. You can then modify it later for elegance. No one cares if your code is ugly at first, if it works, that's what counts. Chances are no one is going to see it anyway.

When you get past your first release then you can worry about neat code.
Last edited on
Avilius: Yea I've kinda given up on finding a tutorial. And I did start a little, just testing out ways to do certain things. On the playing games, I've actually been thinking about how the game is coded since I started programming. Lately I've been playing Final Fantasy 6 and thinking about how it could be coded. And I have been hacking it so far, the code isn't pretty at all but it's the first step in the right direction.

liuyang: As far as tile map, I've made one before so that's not going to be a problem.

Thank you Everyone for your comments and suggestions.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.