My first weird work experience

I'm not exactly sure what happened and this is a first for me.

About 3 weeks ago I started volunteering at a IT recycling company. It's probably the first time in a decade I have felt happy. The atmosphere was very relaxed, everybody had a task and got on well.

The first week was dissociative, I was given the task to serialise laptops that have have come in and audited and update the database with their stock position, by scanning the serial numbers into excel, creating a 3D barcodeSo thats what those things are and printing them off on sticky labels and putting them on the laptops, and then putting them on the shelf, easy enough.

On the third day, a man from downstairs came up to talk to the floor managermy boss. Downstairs is where the scrapped computers come in and get data wiped.
They used a program called "Dareks boot and nuke" if IIRC, using a method called the "Mersenne Spiral" if anyone is interested - http://www2.mae.ufl.edu/~uhk/MERSENNE-SPIRAL.pdf

Now this man was in his between his 40's and 50's, he had a degree in computer science and was a programmer, so I instantly wanted to talk to this man. I piped up about programming things which he keenly responded to, it always feels easier to talk to people older than me. He also swears like a sailor too and we have a good laugh.

So the second week, he tells my boss that I will work closely with him, f'in sweet. He was showing me how to make a universal windows image, which he would inject all drivers known to man to for any computer, so when someone ordered one, they didn't have to fart about looking for the right drivers.

I have continued to work with him since, this is where the weird bit comes in.

I had a phone call Wednesday from a friends mom, if anyone of you read that weed thread I mentioned a guy who went cuckoo, his mom. I haven't heard off him in months.I found out he was in hospital for three months, the first month was high security

I dropped all my work and immediately rang my mom making sure she was alright, turns out he had already been looking for me then left when my mom said I was at work. Phew.

Anyway, I asked the owner if I could leave and explained the situation, he said he understood. The day before he wanted to talk to me about something, saying he was very pleased and heard good things about me, and he wanted to talk to me in his office. Before I left, the programmer guy I was working with said he had something for me, and handed me a business card.

Now then, the owner looks very... intrigued, to say the least. To the point where he took it out my hand, looked at it, and put it in his pocket, and quietly he told me that we would talk tomorrow and asked me to go. Confused as I was, I left.

The day after we had a staff meeting in the morning.I thought school assembly was boring He was going on about how disorganised downstairs is, and is looking to promote a person to supervise. I thought I was quids in, he said he was impressed etc. After the meeting, me and the programmer had to get some desktops out for an order, he was mentioning that he had a bollucking in the morning, something about "Taking advantage of vulnerable children". I'm 21 He too was rather confused about it all, and it upset him too. He wrote his resignation in front of me. I stayed an extra hour trying to get the desktops ready for licensing. I went up to see my boss and see if he wanted this "talk" but he was out and wouldn't be back to whatever time. I'd like to point out that the programmer finishes at 6PM.

Later that day, at 6:35PM, I had a text from the owner saying he wasn't going to offer me an apprenticeshipI already have my IT qualifications, but whatever and that he wishes me all the best in my job search.A "Fuck off" pretty much

I text to ask what spurred this decision, no reply.

I hate you humans.
I don't understand? Why do you play the pronoun game so much? I can't tell who you are referring to most of the time.

Have you considered submitting to http://thedailywtf.com/ ?
Last edited on
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Ask the programmer, maybe he'll know.

The pronoun game continues.
Last edited on
Now then, the owner looks very... intrigued, to say the least. To the point where he took it out my hand, looked at it, and put it in his pocket, and quietly he told me that we would talk tomorrow and asked me to go.

That is definitely not something he can do and you shouldn't have let him do. That business card was meant for you and even if he was your boss he doesn't have the right to take it away from you and not give it back. I would say to go back to the place of business to get it back but I doubt he will give it to you (Probably would say something along the lines of I threw it away, etc.).

Though as for your situation I would say that the programmer was already planning on leaving the company to maybe a new position in a different company and might have wanted to try and bring you along (Or at least get you an interview). But who knows this is all just guessing on my part.

Would be worth keeping in touch with the programmer even if it is just to use him as a reference or to broaden your network.

As for your old boss who knows what is up with him
Last edited on
@LB

It's been that long since I have done English and I don't even know what a pronoun is, but judging by Fr0zen1's response I guess you are regarding to "The programmer" "The owner" and "My boss".

I cba rewriting it, perhaps switch "programmer" with "adam", "boss" as "gerald" and "owner" with "twat".

My main concern is with adam and twat.

To be simpler;

Twat told me he had heard good things about me and would like to talk to me in his office about my opportunities here. The day after Adam gave me his business card*. The day after that, Adam hands in his resignation, and within the hour I get a text saying not to come in anymore.

I am mindfucked to say the least. It's really put a dent in my confidence and trust in people. I often get asked why I don't talk much, it's a good example why.

@Fr0zen1

After a google search with fragments of memory I found the programmers business, it's his own. I text him with no response.

@Z e r e o

You are correct, I should not have ( I did try but I didn't want to upset him, after all my job was on the line ). I was so confused I didn't think much of it, until the day after when I got the sack.

I knew he didn't want to be there much longer, and the situation gave him the excuse to hand in his notice. I guess I was caught in some mind battle I wasn't even aware of, and I came out worse.

I tried texting him, with no response.
The pronoun I am concerned with is "he" - you use it so much that it is usually ambiguous.
It's hard to not use he when both of them are male. I wasn't sure if I should put real names. I do see your point however, apologies for my lack of clarity.

I hope the simpler back story helped you understand. My OP was the translation of 2 days of memory dribbled through my fingers.

Also, why should I submit it? Is it worth submitting/People will tell me what happened?
I believe Fr0zen1 meant "six words".
megatron 0 wrote:
Also, why should I submit it?
Because it makes you think "wtf?"?
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
@EssGeEich
What?
@Fr0zen1 Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was related:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/148427/
[/ot]
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.