• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Where can I find a solid Visual Studio C

Where can I find a solid Visual Studio C++ tutorial

The title says it all, where can I find a good source for learning game dev(just hoping) and learn how to use Visual Studio C++ at the same time with visual effects. Thanks.
The name Visual Studio is not implying that is for creating visual effects if that's what you're thinking it means. Visual Studio is just an IDE. And if you're looking to start game dev through programming, you need to learn at least one language first.
If you're referring to Visual C++ (the some-what visual language version of C++) then my advice would be use a different Visual language as VC++ (AFAIK) isn't fully supported as a visual language.
Microsoft started working on it but decided they did not want to create the .NET framework for C++ as they already have a few languages that are perfect for that anyway (VB, VC#, VF#?, any others I don't know?), and also C++ is maintained by ISO, not just by Microsoft like the rest of the visual languages.

If you're referring to using MS Visual Studio with C++ then you have to learn to program C++, and just focus on being able to open a project and a file in VS as the more complicated stuff will be of no real importance to a beginner C++ programmer.
SatsumaBenji wrote:
If you're referring to Visual C++ (the some-what visual language version of C++) then my advice would be use a different Visual language as VC++ (AFAIK) isn't fully supported as a visual language.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by this. Visual C++ is not some different type of "visual" C++ language as you are in implying. Visual C++ is just a name referring to the C++ toolset within Microsoft's Visual Studio and that is it.

Just don't want the OP to get confused, so again it is not a separate type of language Visual C++ just refers to the C++ toolset (Which contains stuff like the Microsoft C/C++ compiler) provided by Visual Studio

SatsumaBenji wrote:
Microsoft started working on it but decided they did not want to create the .NET framework for C++ as they already have a few languages that are perfect for that anyway (VB, VC#, VF#?, any others I don't know?), and also C++ is maintained by ISO, not just by Microsoft like the rest of the visual languages.

I believe you are mixing this up with C++/CLI which is the managed version of C++ which takes advantage of the .NET platform. So Microsoft actually did continue working on a C++ .NET platform and it is still actively being maintained as far as I know.

Wulfinite wrote:
where can I find a good source for learning game dev(just hoping)

For game development you generally need to have a good grounding in a programming language before you start to tackle learning it. Almost every single subject in game programming requires you to have advanced knowledge of the language you are programming in if you want to do more then just have a sprite moving around the screen.

So personally I would say learn the basic and advanced topics of a language (In this case C++) first and then after you have done that you can start to learn more about game development. It also really doesn't matter what language you learn because almost every single pattern, design, etc. for game development is language independent. Learn how to make a scene graph, behavior tree or whatever in Python and most likely you won't have a hard time applying that knowledge to one in C++.

Wulfinite wrote:
and learn how to use Visual Studio C++ at the same time with visual effects. Thanks.

Basically covered this one with the above quotes. But to sum it up Visual Studio C++ is just a compiler IDE (Thank you Cheraphy ;p)which allows you to write code more efficiently and that is all. While it is still very important to learn how to use your IDE effectively in this case it will not help you with creating visual effects for game development.
Last edited on
Visual Studio C++ is just a compiler

You misspoke. It's an IDE that comes with Microsoft's C++ compiler. Just don't want to confuse OP.
Have you tried MSDN? I'm not trying to be a wise guy here (OK, maybe I am a little), this should be where you look. Make sure you set the little drop down to the correct version of Visual Studio as soon as you land there. It usually doesn't make a difference in the documentation, but when it does, it REALLY does.
Thank you everyone for clearing that up and my low understand of VS
Sorry, many mistakes on the VC++ from me.
Honestly i think i confuse myself a little :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.