(Android) unofficial cplusplus app

How many of you would be interested in a unofficial cplusplus app? It would be for Android and will be free! I have noticed there was no app for this website in the play store. Any features you guys would like? I just thought of the idea and so far have thought about these features (will update list with requested features):

. notification support
. widget to view latest posts
. access to all areas on the site
. login support
. open in browser view

Let me know your thoughts!

UPDATE 12/31/14: contacted administration and they said they weren't against an app as long as it doesn't change their existing code and they are against having ads or charging for it

UPDATE 12/31/14: rough sketch of forum ui is up at http://imgur.com/qCpIAkE sorry for extras couldn't upload a picture without screenshot. Let me know your first thoughts!
Last edited on
You would need to contact the site administrator if you want to do this. You can't just go making money off of somebody else's website...
I know, I wanted input to see if anyone was even interested first
You would need to contact the site administrator if you want to do this.

No he wouldn't.

Anyone can write an app to make access to any website he likes. And he can certainly charge for it. There's absolutely no reason (legal or otherwise) why he couldn't.
Anyone can write an app to make access to any website he likes.
Right, you're charging for the service not the website itself. You could make a moral argument against it but I don't see a problem with it.

In regards to the app, I wouldn't be interested. Every time I've tried using a sites app it has been horrible.
I agree Lachlan, all the site apps are usually just shortcuts to the website. I will do some sketches on the app before I get started and do beta tests before public release so the ui will be easy to use and attractive. That's nice to I know that I don't have to contact them
An app makes using the site much easier though. Most sites, including this one, are less friendly on a 2.5 by 4 inch screen, even with the mobile version. An app should make doing the things you normally want to do much easier -- observe your posts -- respond to a post (typically VERY difficult on mobile devices, especially when you cannot switch to another app or web page without losing everything you've typed so far) -- check and read and write PMs. The interaction stuff is what is important.
I made the same thread a year or so ago. Didn't get enough support to start working on it. If you do, and run into some road blocks, feel free to rubber duck debug against me. No need to put me in the credits or give me enough of the code to steal it.
I will definitely contact you cheraphy if I need some help. This wouldnt be a true cplusplus app if it wasnt coded in it ;-) . Duoas, I will try to implement that feature, maybe not in the first releases but it will definitely be able to save what you type in between apps. I will try to get a very rough sketch drawn on my phone to get a rough idea on placement and feedback of the placement. But for reply I am thinking of having a part at the bottom and half of it will be a reply button and half would be for subscribing?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.