Hate tedium

http://giftedkids.about.com/od/Underachievement-Motivation/a/Underachievement-Of-Verbally-Gifted-Children.htm

This article describes me pretty much exactly. Anyone else feel the same way?
The article makes reference to "underachievement" a lot, but doesn't qualify what that actually means.

Grades? Financial success? High quality of life?

EDIT:

Anyway, I don't really mind tedium. In fact I often find it therapeutic and sometimes would prefer to do something mindless and easy over something difficult and stressful.
Last edited on
I thought it was pretty obvious the underachievement in question was underachievement in school (e.g. grades).

Like anyone, I don't enjoy doing things that are not interesting. Tedium is not interesting. Mindless activities are different - think about the difference in activity between your subconscious and conscious. Casual games are typically mindless and not tedious.
Although I've never considered myself verbally gifted, that article exactly describes the struggles I face almost ever day in college.

For example, if a lecturer starts with details before getting to the point, or if they never get to the point, then I will not absorb anything. Also, when a test is full of wordy, overly complicated problems, I do poorly, because I lose my patients, become very anxious, and end up incorrectly interpreting the problem. And when faced with tedious problems that require many trivial by hand math operations, I get a lot of anxiety, and usually just decide not to do it and lose the points.

To make things worse, I have to take tests in a chair with only a small "desk top" that is smaller than a piece of paper, with people nearly shoulder to shoulder with me on both sides. Then I have to try and not let my pencil, eraser, book ( if it's open book test ) or scratch paper fall. And all of this while the clock is ticking and you have practically no time to break.

Some teachers style's cause me to get far worse grades than what accurately reflect my effort, understanding of the material and ability. My test scores can be extremely inconsistent, because I can get anxious and lose patients and basically shut down and become unable to focus. Unfortunately, when a single exam can be worth 40% of your grade, it's easy to mess up and get bad grades.

I always though this was because of some kind of anxiety disorder or ADD or something. I guess it's because I am a "Holistic Learner" as opposed to a "Global Learner".

http://homeworktips.about.com/od/homeworkhelp/a/global.htm

Disch wrote:

In fact I often find it therapeutic and sometimes would prefer to do something mindless and easy over something difficult and stressful.

But for some people, it's sort of the reverse, mindless, easy stuff is stressful, and difficult things are therapeutic.

Last edited on
Holy crap. This article may as well have been written specifically about me.
That article pretty accurately describes my pre-college education. And even some of my college.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.