Software Design Carrer Requirements?

The end goal of my education is to become a software developer.
As of now, i know C++, with a fair understanding of object oriented programming and I know a tiny bit of:

HTML
XHTML
SQL

Im curious what language(s) the community thinks i should really study hard in order to secure a Software Development career

I searched for an internship for this summer and suddenly realized I'm very under-qualified.
C# and Java are both good languages to learn.
As a student, companies are expecting to train you. Take advantage of this and absolutely get an internship. The more you can get, the better. You'll probably need to look early, though. You should start the search for a summer internship around November of the preceding year.

On your free time, make some applications. Don't waste your entire college career just learning languages for the sake of learning languages. Want to write some cool web app? Then go learn whatever JavaScript you need for that. Throw it up on GitHub, talk about it on your website. Repeat this process until you graduate and you'll have no issues getting a job.
I'm currently working as Software Engineer at my company as an apprentice (although my apprenticeship is actually Electronics Engineer) and all I had was intermediate C++ knowledge and I mentioned that I'd just started making a little text editor to practice VB.NET.

A couple of weeks later they're offering me the job and I've been working almost entirely in VB.NET while I've been here despite never really using it before, (pretty much learned the language and .NET framework while on the job, looking up the bits I need). Of course I think I was only really able to do that after already having a "programmer" mindset other languages.

They also were very interested in the little data library I had been working on in C++ for so long.
I would have to agree with Biscuit and say get practice in actually making applications rather than learning a language. For a start you'll learn far more from the problems you face in making programs than you will from just learning the core language, you learn how to be a "programmer" no just someone who knows a programming language. And as he also mentioned it's something to talk about, consider it a portfolio of your efforts in programming.

Besides that I would say that libraries are just as important as the languages themselves. It's not really much use knowing C++ if you don't know how to use any of the std library, or SFML, Boost, OpenGL, etc. Likewise C# and VB.NET isn't really much without .NET or whatever is needed for the situation. And Java without the hundreds of libraries that can throw at you.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.