• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Windows explorer.exe hangs without reaso

Windows explorer.exe hangs without reason

Hi at all! I recently saved a lot of data using the program GetDataBack Simple, since, as I have understood, the MFT was corrupted. So, I recovered about 200 GB of data (a lot of files!) on another HDD. Now, data is stored in Admin folder inside the User folder in the main directory of that HDD. If I use GetDataBack Simple, it shows all the directories without any problems, but if I explore that directory normally, explorer.exe just hangs and it shows 0 bytes in Properties... Even if I use WinRar I am able to explore contents without any problems, but normally it hangs... Why?
Thanks in advance for any answer!
Not too sure whether this is correct or not but Microsoft has never been very good at safety checks before there apps attempt to do something.

Perhaps their's some corrupt headers or something in the recovered directories that explorer.exe is just getting confused about and then sits twiddling its thumbs trying and failing to read it again?
These are just thoughts off the top of my head.

1.) It's 200 GB of data all shoved into a file and you are simply not waiting long enough for it to unpack. The reason that GetDataBack Simple works is that it is using a shortcut by not fully unpacking the file and just showing you the index. This one is less likely but still a possibility.

2.) The data was recovered and stored in a way that Windows explorer and other programs can almost read but really can't in the end because GetDataBack Simple is trying to sell you the full version of their software. This possibility has my vote for being the most likely.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.