What so good about boost libraries ?

I always hear so much talk about boost how every programmer should learn it but I can't find a exact definition on what it can do and why you need it ?

Also how comes game developers rarely use this library ?

Also after I'm done with my basics and advance concepts on C++ can I use boost and sfml together(if that's possible)

Also which is better boost socket programming or sfml socket programming
Boost Libraries are an assortment of libraries that implement modern concepts in C++ programming.

People do use them in games occasionally but Boost libraries tend to be implemented in high-level abstractions that cover many generic situations that a game may not need and may want to optimize slightly more. That said, I've seen games implement FAR worse stream, asynchronous sockets, and various other containers than boost does.

Boost and SFML has very little functionality that overlap. I think the only thing that does overlap is SFML sockets and Boost ASIO. Even then, ASIO is designed for asynchronous IO, SFML is designed for synchronous IO which are very different beasts.

I prefer Boost ASIO by far.
thank you for the reply :)
Is it possible to create a messenger that can send messages to other users using boost asio I'm just wondering because I got tons of ideas for network programming once I finish all the c++ advance concepts
Perhaps you should look into that yourself.
Answer to the first question:
http://www.cplusplus.com/faq/intro/#boost-libraries

NoXzema +1 for remaining answers.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.