How to learn more about Computers

Every time i ask a question the asnwers are so advance i sometimes get even more confused

When i mean how to learn more about computers i mean how to learn more about windows ins and outs.
Different file extensions and formats
Drivers etc...
Any resources would be helpful

Thank you for any replies
IMO you're going about learning the wrong way. You cant take what random people on the internet say as fact. Learn the information firsthand from a reliable source.

If you try to learn everything you know from an internet forum like this, you'll probably just be confused, mislead or misinformed on a good portion of what you learn, and that can be a hard thing to undo. Next thing you know you'll end up being the one on an internet forum misinforming people trying to make yourself look smart with all of the things you think you know and getting mad at people who contradict you.

You need to learn how to learn on your own. It's pretty simple, do some searching, maybe read some wiki articles, browse through lists of books, read reviews, look at the table of contents, pick a few, read them.

Self learning is a critical skill for most computer jobs, especially programming.

Also, this is just my opinion/theory, I think knowledge is overrated. People who are too confident with what they think they know are dangerous. Knowledge in the human brain has a fairly short shelf life as well as in the tech industry in general. You have to refresh it or replace it every now and then on a need to know basis, and should usually assume you might be wrong. It's wisdom and skill that count the most. This comes from practice and from being skeptical, question things, thinking about things, and from listening to many people being objective as you can, and trying to broaden your perspective.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
When i mean how to learn more about computers i mean how to learn more about windows ins and outs.

There are different editions of a book called Windows Internals[1] that gives a lot of information but you may need to learn some things before you understand that...

As a general background to things check out Computerphile[2].

---------------------------------------
[1] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Internals-Part-Developer-Reference/dp/0735648735/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

[2] https://www.youtube.com/user/Computerphile
If you're interested in the ins and outs of Windows I highly suggest you check the book Windows Via C/C++. Among other things it explains in detail and tutorial form Processes, Threads, Scheduling, Virtual memory & memory management, DLLs and DLL injection, synchronous and asynchronous device I/O, Unicode strings vs. ANSI, and 64-bit applications. Obviously this is a programming book and doesn't give a complete overview of Windows but it does explain the things that make Windows tick.

In addition to that book, books about the Component Object Model(COM) and the Windows registry could come in handy. Windows Internals covers the latter quite well IIRC.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.