big black screen for coding

In sitcoms like Silicon Valley, whenever computers are shown in the background, they have this big black screen with various 'compartments' filled with multi-colored codes. The blackness, like fully covers the screen in way that can't be minimized as in when you reboot windows in cmd prompt mode or even play games(idk technical term for this).

I have never seen this personally, only in videos and thus was wondering what it really was. What program or IDE are they using and is this environment programming language specific, if yes, which language is it? Or is it just the platform thing, like happens in linux, not in windows?(idk linux much)

They seem geeky but cool and also, want to find out what it is afterall?

Maybe a linux terminal?
@ahcfan but can we code/program in linux terminal? no, i guess.
I don't use linux but I'm sure you can. There are console-based text editors like vi and Emacs.
@ahcfan and @everyone_else u seem right. i looked them up and their images looked similar to what i described. going through "text editors" meaning in wiki, found this:

Distraction-free editors provide a minimalistic interface with the purpose of isolating the writer from the rest of the applications and operating system, thus being able to focus on the writing without distractions from interface elements like a toolbar or notification area.

thats what i wanted to describe. but are these single text editors better than dedicated IDE and what languages does it support(probably all, it's text editor) and does it have in-built compile option? if not, why use it over dedicated IDEs to one language?
I believe those text editors are extensible. It is possible to define macros which make them behave more like traditional IDE's. Also, working in a console like that I don't see a need to a built-in compiler as you can simply switch to a new terminal or w/e and do the compiling.
what exactly do u mean by
macros
and
consoles like that
above. macros automate actions, doesn't it? so how come it would
make them behave more like traditional IDE's.
and consoles like what?
what exactly do u mean by
macros

I believe what he means by macros is, little scripts that provide the functionality that you are needing. For example most people that use terminals for programming already have compilation scripts setup that will compile their projects in a single command. These are usually makefiles or something similar. In fact when you press the compile button on your IDE most likely all it is really doing is running these scripts in the background.

Some even write scripts that do the compiling, run tests on the resulting program, move all the required libraries and the program itself to some deployment location (Maybe a remote server), etc.

So basically he means automating everything you would have to do by hand in the terminal through script files (Python, Bash, etc.). And since you can do pretty much anything you could ever want to do through terminal commands in Linux and Windows this means you can easily write a script combining those commands to do some pretty complex tasks like compiling and deploying a project.
Last edited on
@Z e r e o Ok, I got you now. So are those big black screens Emacs or vi afterall? do you know for sure? And why do you think they are preferred than the dedicated IDE with better user interfaces and more options when in the former interfaces, you have to type command for each action for which again you have to learn those.
Last edited on
Those big black screens are often just big black screens with gibberish to make it look cool. With a couple of exceptions you can just assume movies and TV shows make shit up.
Can you find a specific example of one of these screens?
Last edited on
I have recommendations for three things that will achieve this in windows.

tmux (can be used with cygwin, allows you to split up a console window as you see in those Hollywood films)
conemu (a replacement for the default console in windows, even supports scripting language shells)
emacs (I don't like it personally, but some people swear by it)

edit: the style of window management you see in those things are called 'tiling window managers' google it for a good definition. What you are used to (before vista) is a stacking window manager, and (vista and beyond) a composite window manager. There are programs out there for windows that replace the default one with a tiling window manager. I can't recall the name of the one I used for a short while.
Last edited on
@Lachlan Easton
Can you find a specific example of one of these screens?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wmii-3_screenshot.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scrotwm.png

and after @Cheraphy suggested and googling 'tiling window manager' and visiting various related links in wikipedia, it really no longer seems to be
just big black screens with gibberish to make it look cool
. wiki said this even dates back to 1980s where its use was more in text-based terminal than it is used now with GUI and all.

@Cheraphy thanks for the correct technical term(tiling window manager) and shooting few examples. what do you mean by
console window
though. been confused for past couple of days with this term in this context. some websites say console=keyboard+display monitor. in this context, do u mean console as in each separate windows for different application/programs. for eg: if i have chrome and my computer window open, would i be correct if I say "I have 2 console windows open".
Last edited on
I was referring to the fact that you said you had only seen it in videos. It still stands that if it's in a movie, it's probably baloney.
@Lachlan Easton well, actually i have mostly seen this in movies and series where use of computers are highly romanticized indeed, but i have also seen this in few documentaries and advertisements-one of those where they go around to workstations and capture what is actually happening. One of them was in an online 2 minute advertisement for a hackathon to attract people.
By 'console window' I am referring to what you see when you fire up command prompt or Power shell in windows. It's just the window for the program with a command line interface.
Also if you are looking for something like the photos you posted koopey I would check out the terminator terminal on Linux http://gnometerminator.blogspot.com/p/introduction.html . Though not sure if windows has anything similar.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
There's an XKCD for that.

http://xkcd.com/1451/
There's Always a Relevant xkcd
http://relevantxkcd.appspot.com/
@Luke Leber Good one!
What you described reminds me of a text editor called sublime text.
Maybe that's what you saw.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.