• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Programming principles by bjourne or c++

Programming principles by bjourne or c++ primer

Ok I have learned the very basics of c++ like variables, loops, if and else, etc. I am still not the best versed in classes yet and still learning the importance of pointers and functions.

Which book should I go to, My university uses "learning c++ through game programming" And I did not like the book nor the teacher so now that the class is over I want to go to a much better level by myself cuz this next term I got astronomy, psychology and discreet math which means no programming.

so any advice please on what book would be best to bring me to a much higher level for someone in my situation
lol anyone please.
closed account (yR9wb7Xj)
udemy.com is better than a book in my opinion. you can learn several languages from beginners to expert in the course of the language you decide, there all video lectures, so it easy to learn and understand. it's taught on your own pace too, so you don't have to rush. the only book i recommend although this is not to learn more syntax but it helps you how to logically solve problems such as classes, pointers, and recursive is Think Like A Programmer by Anton V. It's up to your preference though.
What is good courses in udemy? I dont know any that has excercizes and that is what helps me learn. also is think liek a programmer a good first book?
closed account (yR9wb7Xj)
What I did was I read the review for each course I was interested, depending where you stand in C++ and always look for the one close to 5 stars. If you do not want to pay you can take the free section and the course is called c++ beginners, but it takes you to intermediate. You can just skip the basic syntax and go straight to classes, pointers, recursive etc... I think it's a great book, because it helps you develop the logical behind the coding. That's most important part when learning how to program it's not the code or the syntax although that does play a role in programming. I think solving problems and finding solutions to them should be the second step anyone should learn after learning and understanding the syntax. Because anyone can code and understand the syntax it's not that hard. But people have a hard time solving problems because they have not learn how to think like a programmer. And this book is great for that, it tells you how to solve problems, but it makes you think logically, which is the reason why it's call think like a programmer. They have exercises at the end of the chapter, it is important that when reading this book you actually try them instead of skipping them, if you read the introduction it tells you everything you need to know about the book. You can get a free look at the introduction on Amazon.com.
http://stackoverflow.com/a/388282/1959975

Note that while "C++ Primer" is a good book, "C++ Primer Plus" is by a different author and has negative reviews.
It depends on how best you learn, some people learn better by watching a video as it is like a real person teaching you but other learn better by having their head in a book. I have Programming Principles by Stroustrup and I have to say it is a very good book and covers a huge range of topics. I would highly recommend this book but it does cost upwards of £35 deepening on where you buy it from. If you are looking for a free alternative then there are loads of C++ tutorials out there, all you have to do is a quick google search.
I appreciate everyone for replying, I been told a book is a great way to learn so I may take a coupld books and do them at the same time.
hello, I liked c++ template metaprogramming by David Abrahams and Akeksey Gurtovoy (I was not a ``beginner`` by this time, but found many aspects treated interesting and useful) because this is written in a practical manner, you have also Effective Modern C++ by Scott Meyers (I like Scott Meyers, because he is truly a good writer* at glance, I learnt vocabulary reading him, beyond the fact he is a talented c++ programmer), the Stroustrup is good but sometimes, I don't think is reachable for beginners (and mostly advanced, I don't like reading ten times a ``hundred feet``` sentence) ; he is out in space*.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.