Who else is taking a break?

closed account (yR9wb7Xj)
Who else is taking a break from programming, because your life is very busy right now? Curious to know.
I just took about a two week break. Moved to a new city for a new job post-graduation. Was just busy and was wanting to just do nothing while I can.

I'm a firm believer of taking breaks every now and again. Really helps to clear your mind and give you a new perspective.
I am also busy preparing to get a good college next year.... I wont say that I am taking a break its just now I am devoting more time to physics, maths, chemistry and sports more than programming (which also means I am now less active on cplusplus.com than before:D)
Last edited on
closed account (yR9wb7Xj)
Congrats on the new job @ ResidentBiscuit & @ programmer007 yeah I understand, I'm taking summer classes right now to advance in college and my classes aren't easy at all, right now for summer 1 it's gen chem 2 & summer 2 starts in july it's calc 2. So I won't be able to program until fall starts again, basically when I take my next programming class.
Last edited on
I've been allotting large portions of my 'free time' to refreshers on Calculus for when I go back to school this fall (or spring). But, currently putting that on hold so I can study up for the A+ certification. Which is a certification that basically tells employers that you have the knowledge someone with a years worth of experience in IT would have.

If you are self employed and its your living then its hard to take a break - working from home is even harder as its hard to switch off... ive seen myself wake up 4am with the fix to a problem, jumped out of bed and started coding.. part of programming life.

@ Cheraphy: Don't kid yourself, the A+ certification shows that you know how to fix a printer. Don't get me wrong, it will be a great help in getting you past the HR drones. Just don't expect it to carry your through the second leg of the interview when you talk to your constituents. Be prepared to tell them about how you setup your own home network, installed and configured 'X' number of operating systems (along with what they were), VM's, file server etc. They will ask you what problems you ran into while performing these tasks and how you went about solving them. You may know these answers off the top of your head right now, but interviews can be nerve racking. Forgetting about a problem means that you also miss out on the opportunity to tell them how you resolved it which is what they are looking for. Even if the solution is that you Google'd the error code and read the article, that puts in the top 25 percent of applicants. I'm not kidding, you would become homicidal if you saw what kind of idiots get hired sometimes. Write these things down and practice them. While it's true that half of the other applicants will have done these exact same things at some time in their lives, half of those will freeze up when put on the spot. Now out of the eight people that might have applied, the choice is down to you and one other guy.

The problem with the A+ is that it's too ridged; any questions that it may prompt are moot because you've already passed the exam. You need to give them things to quiz you about or you aren't going to stand out.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't need to learn what's covered in the A+ cert. But I have no documentable experience in the field, and that piece of paper will get me in the door. Studying is more just learning what's going to be on the exam.

Trust me, if I could land an interview right now I'd be more the apt to do the job.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.