Is it possible?

closed account (yR9wb7Xj)
The title says it all, I want to hear from you guys on your opinion on this it's summer right now and I have a job but thinking to quit. I go to summer school right now and currently taking a heavy subject that's only a month long, then summer 2 starts on july and I'm taking another heavy subject that is only a month long. That being said, I don't think it's possible to work, go to school, and on the side continue to learn c++. I have not program for 2 weeks and it's killing me. Today I recently had extra free time to read a book call Think Like A Programmer, and I try to do one of the exercise in the chapter, solving a problem that the author wanted me to solve, and I simply could not do it. Because I forgot the BASIC C++ syntax, I still know what they do, I just simply forgot how to write the syntax. I took programming 1 last semester, and I had to re teach myself the material in May and it took me a month to learn the syntax and what they do. I have feeling that I won't be able to program until fall starts, because of my summer classes and work getting in the way in what I really want to do program! I'm moving onto classes and pointers etc. in Fall (programming 2) at my college. What is your view on this, possible or not possible? Thank everyone!
Last edited on
With proper time management it should be perfectly possible. Just devote one hour each night to programming, and only forgo those times if you get particularly busy. Last semester I was taking 20 credits while also working 2 jobs and trying to balance my social life. It wasn't fun and I never had down time, but I still was able to do what I wanted, for the most part. You'd be surprised just how much time really is in a day if you use it correctly.
How did you time manage yourself when doing this?Because for me it's hard to grasp a concept of any subject I am learning for example General Chem 2, right now it's taking a lot of studying to actually get the material down. In july calculus 2 and math takes a lot of practice to understand it. That is a good idea, I'm going to start dedicating at least one hour to program during the week days, and weekends I will dedicate what ever spare time I have. I used to dedicate at least 6 hours everyday in May, and 8 hours on weekend, but now I have a job and summer school, so I've panic and let that go to waste by not practicing for two weeks. I am disappointed in myself because I am almost 22 in a month and I have not had a job since two years ago, I quit because I was having a hard time in school. There's no excuse though because everyone does it at some point in their life, go to school and work, like you ad two jobs and went to school, I applaud you for that because it takes responsibility and managing your time to do this. Which I lack in right now, but I'm working on fixing it.
It's primarily forcing yourself to do work when you really don't want to. Starting class at 9 in the morning, finishing by 4 then going to work until 9 sucks, but that doesn't mean I can afford to put off my homework until the next day. I would still spend several hours after all of that to ensure that I was at least on track with my schoolwork, maybe even ahead. By using all of my available time, and sacrificing on sleep sometimes, I was able to have a day or two a week where I could do whatever I wanted after classes and work.

I think what really helped me, though, was that I pretty never stress out. Even when I know I should be stressed, I just don't feel anything. I couldn't tell you why, that's just how I am. I still care and work hard to get good grades, I just don't get all worked up when the work piles up. I'm still not sure if it's good or bad, but it keeps me sane.
That is what I'm going to start doing forcing myself like you said. I think because I stressed out so much on school work, work and learning c++ on the side it is overwhelming to me because I am not used to this. I used to play a lot of video games but now I find them very boring and the hours I put in playing video games is now towards my other hobby coding, I enjoy it so much, to be able to create something with code and it actually works is an awesome feeling, but ever since I stop coding for two weeks because of school and work, I feel like I am lost now when I try to code. I feel very exhausted and tired and I cannot think for myself because I am not using to being this busy. I'm the only one out of my friends that is a computer geek, the rest of my friends like to party and mess around with girls. So I am like an odd ball out of my group of friends.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.