OpenGL or DirectX

Now DirectX12 Looks amazing but OpenGL has Multi-Platformness, With Microsoft's Vision becoming actualy a good one with Satya Nadella as CEO DirectX may one day be Multi-Platform even though DirectX was originally made by Microsoft to make Windows look the best.

What do you think is best now,then, and in the future?
Vulkan.

-Albatross
Vulkan is close to Mantle in design and meant to compete directly with Metal and DX12. OpenGL isn't being deprecated but... Outside of quick examples or demonstrations (and even then, Vulkan will be simplified by wrappers and engines), I can't imagine a use for OpenGL.

Vulkan, in a lot of aspects is very similar to DX12. To be honest, if we can compile HLSL -> SPIR-V and Vulkan drivers are on par with DX12, I can't imagine a single reason why people would want to restrict themselves to DX12.
Last edited on
This is incredibly vague and has no answer.

It ultimately depends on what you wish to do. Consoles, you would use a proprietary API, on Windows, you would use Direct3D, and for pretty much anything else you would use OpenGL (and in the future Vulkan as well).

Honestly the API you use is trivial; it takes little effort to move onto another API once you've mastered another. Personally what I (and I'd say most game developers as well) just write a wrapper over each. That way you can use what is best for each platform.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.