• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Landing a paid Software Engineer/Develop

Landing a paid Software Engineer/Developer position

I was wondering how much practice and learning one needs to do in order to land a paid position as a software develop/engineer (I know there is a difference there, so if you would like to answer for either of those, that would be awesome), given that he or she does not have a computer science or computer engineering degree and is studying by him or herself.
Last edited on
Nah. Getting a job has nothing to do with how much practice you have. Whether you'll get a given job you're applying for (assuming you're interviewing with the actual company rather than a consulting agency. Then it's just a gamble) is ultimately the solution to a risk-benefit equation. The risk is the money lost from hiring an inept programmer -- both from the actual hiring and from what ends up getting broken -- the uncertainty of which can be reduced if you have previous experience in similar positions or if you've completed some sort of course that gives some credence to your claim of skill in that particular area. The benefit is the work getting done plus the possibility of hiring someone who is both capable and cheap.

Although most employers are risk-averse, they will tend to take more risks for non-critical positions. So, for instance, getting a job as a web developer maintaining the public site (i.e. often a glorified window dresser) will be easier than getting a job maintaining the main product. Accordingly, jobs involving technologies associated with the former (e.g. JavaScript, HTML, CSS, etc.) will be easier to get than ones with technologies associated with the latter (e.g. C#, Java, SQL, C++, etc.); of course, there are always exceptions.

Most people will start out working in non-critical systems and will progress towards more critical systems as they change jobs, until their skill doesn't let them continue advancing. Some may luck into a job that doesn't match their job experience with their personal skill and may be able to progress faster. Incompetents, I believe, will either be weeded out by being unable to hold a job, or they'll get stuck in a dead-end job that they're just skilled enough to perform but doesn't let them progress in their careers because no one else uses the technologies involved.
@helios

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the time that you took to answer my question so fully. So how does one ensure that he or she does not become one of the "incompetents"?
Being incompetent is simply being unable or unwilling to perform the role you're placed in.

The first category is difficult, but not impossible to overcome. For example, I was hired as a desktop developer, but was asked to write android and iOS apps in languages I had no experience in. I was incompetent because of a lack of knowledge- so I learned the platforms.

The solution is to learn what you need in order to fulfill your role. Want to be a web developer? Learn HTML. Want to make vidya games? Learn the languages that are relevant.

The second category is unfortunately quite common. I've worked with too many people who are intelligent but unwilling to sacrifice their laziness. I recommend you keep yourself out of this category.
@ultifinitus

Thank you so much for your response. I will make sure I be diligent in all my work. Thank you!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.