128BIT MIPS-LIKE 4GHZ CPU

Pages: 12
That sounds unbelievable.
closed account (NUj6URfi)
The testing took a while along with those 2 days. ... the truth is weird :p
I hold a large amount of skepticism.
Are we just going to ignore the fact that its 128 bit?
I noticed too, especially considering that a 128 bit MIPS instruction set hasn't even been released yet, so there are literally no simulators for it.

I'm thinking that this entire thread was b8, and I was the first to take it :(
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29509&sid=540dec515d99db1187967fb7226a5365
I don't think Toad's trolling. He's not usually a troll. However, I am doubtful of his claims. Hence I asked for schematics.
Well, you could make a simple CPU in logisim, or VHDL in a day. In my computer architecture class this was one of the homework assignments (although we were given a few weeks). But the design was just for the digital logic, not the hardware/electronics. You're definitely not going to be making anything special without a lot more work. Real production CPU's are sophisticated and not comparable to a printed Computer Architecture 101 homework assignment.

It's the suggestion that you didn't just design a simple CPU, but a whole working computer with 4 gig's of ram, and a custom GPU, that gets me. Any sane person who actually would take on such a project, wouldn't be so foolish to put so little time into designing it, and only test the digital logic, before calling it done and spending a bunch of money on printed circuits.

Last edited on
It's MIPS-LIKE and I tested the CPU in logisim.
What form are the Schematics in? What company is making it for you, what exactly did you send them, and what exactly will you get back? What is the cost? Will it really have 4 gigs of ram? How large will the board be? How much power will it consume? Why don't you know what the clock speed will be? What form of display will be used, and how will it connect to the device? Will there be any firmware installed? How will you interface with it?
Last edited on
Eagle .brd and gerber files. Sunstone, the gerber files, just the pcb. I tested everything I could in logisim including video output.

lda
str
mov
add
sub
cmp
cop
inv
hds
hdr
gps
gpr
jmp
ifu
ifd
ehs
ehr
ios
ior
All the CPU instructions ^^

To htirwin edited post and added questions
The cost for the PCBs were $500
Yes
10x10
5V no idea about amperage

as soon as one instruction is halfway done, the next starts... there isn't a defined speed

LCD
No
USB/GPIO
You guys win. Happy? I'm running errands now but I'll upload the logisim file to github in a bit. It will be buggy. It will have redundant spots. It will have stupid things. But it will be there.
I would say it works well enough to get printed for more testing but not enough for a mass crowd.
@ OP: First, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_runaway . Then make sure that you have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-21005779-Fire-Extinguisher-160CI/dp/B000VBGG5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439420172&sr=8-1&keywords=Class+C+fire+extinguisher
And now you are ready to test this thing in real life.

On a serious note, I'm confused, is this a 4Ghz processor or no? Because that's the part I'm having trouble believing. Also, how do you know that it can run 3 concurrent processes (as per the link from Grey Wolf)? Building a 128-bit architecture is trivial, you just keep adding registers, it's making use of it that is the hard part. I would like to see these schematics and the white-sheets after you are done testing as well.
Lol. No. Processes start as the others are running, before they finish. It can run 3, but they're not individually contained. I got a BSOD but should be back up soon.
Heh, amateurs. Do you not know that 128-bit CPUs are 2 times as fast as their 64 bit counterparts?

Does this mean we will have to install windows 10 x64 twice to work properly on the processor?
I for one can't wait to try out "Windows-on-Windows-on-Windows-on-Windows".
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12