Ideas & Suggestions - Old or New?

I currently have a functional old desktop, with decent (well, not really) specs:

Intel Core vPro 3.17Ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM
WD Caviar Blue 160GB HDD

I also have quite a new laptop with pretty good specs (except Intel HD Graphics), but the problems I've encountered with heating while playing games are unbelievable (from the fan malfunctioning once to completely stopping at one point, luckily no damage done).

This has pushed me to think about upgrading(or completely replacing) my desktop, so my question is : Would it be sufficient to shell out some money for a good graphics card and incorporate it into my current system Or Should I just go ahead and build a completely new PC?

If it is advisable to build a new pc, should I start from scratch or just adding more RAM and/or graphics card(s)?

( Keeping in mind constraints of budget, ie, the cheapest way to play games at medium/high settings with ~40+ fps)
Last edited on
Just get a new PC. The "Core" line of CPUs are quite old, as well as DDR2 ram.

Asking us to recommend a PC without giving us a list of games is like asking us to recommend a car without telling us what environment you will be using it in.
Yes, completely new hardware is the way to go. If you're on a budget, see if you can get new stuff from 2012. That ought to be reasonably priced.
I would really recommend saving up for new new hardware, though. Especially since Broadwell just came out last month. The Haswells will probably come down in price, so if you get one, later on you can upgrade to a Broadwell without changing the motherboard.
@Avilius I mean games like gta v or just cause, which tend to be quite resource intensive.
@helios would stuff from 2012 (high end of that year) be enough to run said games?
Last edited on
@Pratik K

In that case, yes upgrade. And high end stuff from 2012 will surely run them, like the GTX 680, you could also look at the r9 280x.

I would give you more recommendations if you could give me the amount you could spend.
@ChajusSaib

You'd laugh if I told you, but around $400-500 Honestly, I'm new to this area of custom built PCs and want to tackle a small project first-time on.. Also, a year or two ago, some (not all, but some, if not most) games could be reasonably playable with default Intel HD cards, but nowadays..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpUnv2TYFaI, does this build really seem capable of running these games?

Also, since I'm not situated in the US, is there a reliable website that offers international shipping and reasonable prices?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.