Windows 10: long term impressions

* Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and maximize support in cmd.

Dislikes:
* Automatic, mandatory updates that require reboots. Whoever came up with this deserves to be shot and have their remains treated as biohazardous. That they will roll out feature updates to Home users for testing purposes before pushing those same updates to enterprise users is simply evil, no two ways about it. I'm using the Enterprise edition and I still have no way to disable mandatory updates, or to at least schedule them to happen just once a month. Just yesterday I had to reboot and then reboot again twenty minutes later. The required reboot also can't be postponed indefinitely. What if I need to run a long-running process that can't be stopped? TS?

* The Windows 10 team had one job: bringing back the Windows 7 start menu. If they didn't
do anything else with the system, this had to happen. And they fucked it up. The Windows 10 start menu has all the features everyone hated about the start screen, and none of the features that were useful about the Windows 7 start menu, other than quick search (more on that later).

* The GUI is currently in a transitional period, and unfortunately that means that at the moment it's a disastrous mishmash of two entirely different design philosophies. In Windows 8.x this wasn't that big a deal because the Metro side and the classic side were non-overlapping, and almost everything that could be found in the Metro side had a more powerful equivalent in the classic side. In Windows 10 they've started moving control panel settings into a "settings" Metro app and it's a gamble whether the particular thing you need to configure will be in one place or the other.

* Virtual desktops are a useful feature, but the execution is less than stellar. Having no way to configure the shortcuts is a serious shortcoming in a feature presumably meant for power-users.

* The cmd improvements are too little too late. Still only three fonts are supported.

* The start menu quick search seems to be rather brittle. Sometimes it will spontaneously stop working. Last time I managed to get to start working again by adding and deleting a link in the start menu directory.

* The guest account has been removed from the GUI, but not from the system. So you can enable it as a security policy, and you can try ot switch to it, but you will not be able to log in. Just another inconsistency that gives off that polished feel you want in an OS.

* It's only a minor complaint at this point, and perhaps it's a setting that can be fine-tuned, but I find the way fonts are rendered now to be annoying. They appear to have turned down the hinting by default, and everything looks blurrier.

Final verdict: There's very little to like and much to dislike, but I could live with most of the changes. The mandatory updates are a deal breaker for me. Luckily I took an image of my SSD before updating; I plan to rollback during the weekend.

EDIT: Spaced it up a bit to make it less wall-of-texty.
Last edited on
The updates match how I handled updates in Win7 anyway, and you can always just disable the update service manually.

I don't like the new text selection in the command prompt, it's extremely buggy. When selecting text it seems to sometimes pause the state of the output, and then not unpause it sometimes when you're done. I use git bash and it breaks the shell in all sorts of bad ways.

Also, the number one worst thing about the new command prompt selection: clicking anywhere without dragging selects anyway. This caused me to want to turn off the feature (but I can't find how) - I always click in a window to focus it, and breaking everything every time I want to focus a command prompt window is unacceptable.

Aside from the horribly broken command prompt text selection, I like everything else about Windows 10.
Last edited on
Exactly. Conemu + Unifont = kickass.
I don't ask for much from a console/terminal. I do ask that it not screw itself over when I click in it.
I'm pretty sure you can disable automatic updates with gpedit.exe.
I'm not so sure. The posts I find that mention that solution date from when Windows Update was still in the control panel.
In services.msc I see that Windows Update is set to "Manual (Trigger Start)" unlike in Windows 7 when it was set to "Automatic", so I guess some other service triggers the update check. Still, disabling it should still work.
LB(or anyone else), have you tried to disable in gpedit? Just wondering if it still works or not. It might be a feature of the enterprise edition only.

Here is the article I read about it:
http://www.markspcsolution.com/2014/11/disable-automatic-update-in-windows-10.html
LB wrote:
In services.msc I see that Windows Update is set to "Manual (Trigger Start)" unlike in Windows 7 when it was set to "Automatic", so I guess some other service triggers the update check. Still, disabling it should still work.

Won't it keep coming back?
I only have Windows 10 Home, so the group policy editor is not available to me.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.