A scared/excited "All in" Beginner

Hello, I am a beginner in C++. I have only taken one semester of Programming 1 in Community College through a dual-enrollment program offered in my High School (It means that I can take a college course and get college & high school credit). The Programming 1 class focused on only C++. Anyway, I have wanted to make my own game (as every 16 year old programmer wants to) and I want to go all in. This means that I want to create my own engine alongside learning c++ and also creating a game. I do understand that it will take years and years to do this is more of a personal project more than a project for making money. What are some resources for learning all of this. I would prefer books as a resource but anything will do!

I did not know what forum to put this in, also I understand that this could be considered insane but I still want to try it :)
http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/enginuity-part-i-r1947

You could try to go this route, or just use existing ones like Unity and Unreal Engine.
Don't do that. You're biggest problem right now is that you don't know what you don't know. All of the game engines out there right now suck for one reason or another, but they are still used because they are the most reliable way to get a project from the drawing board to publication. Most applications fail due to a lack of project management and or workflow, nothing to do with knowledge or willpower to see things through to the end. These engines provide a framework for both already built in.

OP wrote:
I do understand that it will take years and years to do this

What you seem to be missing is that it will take years and years until you realise that you've made some horrible mistake and you now have to scrap your entire project.

If you really want to build something from the ground up then jump onboard with an open source project that is already in progress. Otherwise grab an engine like Unity and crank out an MVP (Minimal Viable Product). Once you have that then you can start working backwards and consolidating your project. After you've done that a few times then you might know enough to talk about making your own engine.

I'm not trying to kick your dream to the curb here OP, I'm trying to show you the most realistic approach to realising it. I'm also asking you not to make the same dumb-ass mistakes I did, even after people told me not to like I'm doing to you right now. I'm closing on 30, I know more about this language than most of your college instructors* but I've never published a single thing. Don't become me.

*: This is more an issue with the current level of expertise in programming classes at universities than it is me bragging about my skill level, but that's life :(.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Game Engine Architecture, Second Edition
by Jason Gregory
http://www.gameenginebook.com

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1466560010/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1QGB966YBNGBSEKGMZFB&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577048787&pf_rd_i=desktop
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.