Where to find people like me?

I feel like I'm the only human being in this entire universe who has actually has an interest in the inner workings of computers/the internet/whatever. I've searched everywhere and I can't find like-minded people. The best I can find are people who want to use tech to steal money, but I have no interest in that. I feel like I'll go insane if I don't find people like me, it's so boring... Help?
Think of it like a challenge.

Seriously though, you're on a forum of people like that.
hackathon! university!
I guess you're right about me being on a forum full of those people, but this site seems more formal and academic than, I don't know, fun.

University seems very out of reach to me, considering it's extremely over-priced here and there isn't a demand for computer programmers where I live. Hackathon on the other hand, I'll have to look into.

University seems very out of reach to me, considering it's extremely over-priced here and there isn't a demand for computer programmers where I live. Hackathon on the other hand, I'll have to look into.

Are you sure? It seams like a shame that someone who feels they will go insane if they cannot be around people interested in computers and programmer, would pursue neither a formal education, nor career in computers or computer programming.
Last edited on
It IS a shame. I might pursue a post-secondary education, but it's very tricky where I live. The only jobs available are strictly in the oil and gas industry, which has recently gone under, and now the economy of the entire province is in shambles. I can't even find my own place because living space is so expensive, the city that I live closest to has a huge homeless population problem. I definitely couldn't get into programming, which is my passion, because no one wants to hire programmers unless they spend thousands on education and are literally perfect. Example: http://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Endeavor-Technologies-Corp./jobs/Lead-Programmer-38a1e5ab814c8ae2?sjdu=vQIlM60yK_PwYat7ToXhk4muzrXPfc2Sc_AeeTLBLoG1BAKl-zfasH2XBWJdm0IWXSuf13m9EZGmG4IlDs60sw
I'd be better off writing apps as a hobby and selling them, at least I'd get to keep my soul. I'm honestly considering moving to a place where things aren't so bad, but it's a huge decision because everyone I know lives here. The best thing that I can do, that I know of, is just try to save as much money as possible, buy a micro-economics textbook to figure out how to actually make money in a place like this, move to a new province that isn't collapsing and then I can pursue my passions.
Good luck!
Last edited on
If you want to learn how computers work, consider programming an arduino or Raspberry Pi. These let you get much closer to the hardware.

As for studying at a university, don't underestimate the willingness of universities to give away money. Most top universities will give you a free ride if you qualify and can't pay.
Nope, I know exactly how you feel. I'm in such a situation myself. I'm trying to pursue a career in Computer Science, however I can't find any good books that teach Informatics.
I'm honestly a little more frustrated at the overall lack of community between people with this interest. It seems I've been fantasizing about the homebrew computer club a little bit too much recently...

I don't even qualify, the only two universities that offer a degree in CSE both want you to be absolutely perfect. Not to mention, if I got the degree, I wouldn't be able to get a job because all places require two years of experience working at a company, which no one has because all places require two years of experience working at a company...
Last edited on
There are a couple ways to look at community. There is a local community, that covers a small area where the people have vastly different interests, for the most part. There might be enough people locally to make up a smaller community of like minded people, as it seems you have with gas/oil. There is also a community, like here, that is not limited to any particular area, but has a vast amount of like minded people.

As far as getting a degree, there are plenty of online options. These are not always the best, but they will give you a degree, for a lot less than money than a residential school. Having a degree is usually considered the equivalent , more or less, of real life experience when applying for a job.

Of course places are looking for people that are perfect. Put yourself in their shoes, who would you rather hire, someone good or a warm body? A degree shows that you have at least made a commitment.

Relocating has been part of life since the industrial revolution, with the exception of maybe agriculture, since that requires a good amount of land. I live were I do now because 25 years ago it was a hub for what I did at the time. Even though my house is payed for, I will be surprised if I do not end up moving again in the next year or two in order to find work.

A bit late, anyhow, I'm having the same situation ... almost.

I live in a country where you either be a doctor, engineer or an unemployed-forever-whatever-you-are! or at least you will not be able to afford livings cost for the rest of your miserable life, or that's how they put it.

Anyway, currently I study Electrical engineering, but I do try to participate in every event that's in the field of computers, hackathon and alike, and guess what it's not that bad, you meet people who are like-minded, develop yourself, make repetition -in the uni at least-, participate in programming projects with a team, and so on.

I'm also thinking about starting a small company with people who I have met, but it's a bit too early. I'm also going to register in the coming hackathon event, a week from now, but the requirements are somewhat high T-T.

I strongly encourage you to get into college even if it's not computer science, but make sure to join them on events.

Best wished,
I feel exactly the same (almost insanely). I'm most interested in the low level innards of computer like manipulating the bus to get hardware to do my bidding and messing with old technologies :D. I sometimes get bored of the high-level languages that just give everything to me in simple commands. But to no surprise, there aren't many who think the same...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.