• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What is C++ and why would a company hire

What is C++ and why would a company hire somebody fluent in this language?

Hello, first I would like to explain a little bit about what this question entails and why I am asking it and why I will need a more general answer. I have recently accepted a job withing recruitment and the I.T. Sector. I come from a politics background with no experience at all with coding or computer science. So if any answer could be as basic as possible I would be immensely grateful.

As part of my training, I have been asked to explore two markets, C++ and WPS and I ask this question in this context. This is just preliminary research, I am not looking to recruit anybody, rather understand the markets I have been given. So my question is this.

Could anybody please explain to me in as simple and general terms as possible what both of these are. I have obviously done some of my own research first, however I have found it little on what it can be used for and why a company might hire somebody who can use it. I am also told WPS is different, although is used in conjunction with C++.

As this post has now doubt illustrated, I am slightly useless with this but I am looking to learn so any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited on
Hi,

please edit you question and move it to the lounge section :) you'll get better answers there
Thank you, I have done.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
https://www.quora.com/Is-learning-C++-still-worthwhile
Note: I wanted to reply to your post when I first saw it (which was 2 days ago) but I was really tired, might as well send you my response right now.

C++ is a language that's been leveraged by millions of programmers around the world. It's easily the most popular programming language for writing big budget computer apps and games. The C++ language retains all of the C programming language as a subset and offers better ways to do things and brand new capabilities as well including the Standard Template Library which makes writing code much easier and faster.

Me, I use C++ because of three main reasons:

1) Speed: One of C++'s main design goals is performance.
2) Flexibility: C++ is a multi-paradigm language that supports different styles of programming like Object-Oriented Programming (OOP), unlike some other modern languages.
3) It is well-supported: There's a large pool of assets available to the C++ programmer, including graphics APIs and 2D, 3D, physics and sound engines.
Last edited on
Thanks for your reply, especially on why you use it. That makes it much easier to understand why it might be desired by a company.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.