• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Looking for an appropriate scripting lan

Looking for an appropriate scripting language

I have a multi-media c++ project that I need to use scripting in. Looking the different scripting languages that are out there, the best fits I have found so far are ColdFusion and Falcon Script. However, I do not like Adobe at all and I am not willing to deal with them as a company and Falcon script seems to be dead. So I thought I would post my criteria here and see if I could get any tips/pointers/etc.

Here are my needs:

1. Can be natively embedded into a C++ project (language of the rest of the project), preferably pre-compiled as some sort of VM byte code. (Like Papyrus Script developed by Bethesda but much more reliable).
2. Supports code fragments as much of the code will be these. Fragments are very likely going to be embedded in XML documents (I will probably handle XML embedding/"encoding" myself.)
3. Event driven. Most of the scripted material would be called as event handlers during a multi media presentation. The XML in #2 above would describe the "pieces" of the presentation and the codes primary purposes are for "pre-processing", "post-processing" and animation processing (controlling animations).
4. Source is easy to read by non-programmers. Doesn't use decorated variable names... very intuitive feel (like Falcon seems to have). Scriptol is another "simple" to read language that is ideal in terms of syntax. However, it will not work since it is translated several times until it is actually usable and doesn't seem to go well with the environment in which it will be used.
5. "Commands"/keywords can be added to syntax that call certain functions in the C++ binaries.
6. Objects are real objects and not tables like in LUA.
Last edited on
1. Can be natively embedded into a C++ project (language of the rest of the project), preferably pre-compiled as some sort of VM byte code. (Like Papyrus Script developed by Bethesda but much more reliable).
2. Supports code fragments as much of the code will be these. Fragments are very likely going to be embedded in XML documents (I will probably handle XML embedding/"encoding" myself.)
3. Event driven. Most of the scripted material would be called as event handlers during a multi media presentation. The XML in #2 above would describe the "pieces" of the presentation and the codes primary purposes are for "pre-processing", "post-processing" and animation processing (controlling animations).
4. Source is easy to read by non-programmers. Doesn't use decorated variable names... very intuitive feel (like Falcon seems to have). Scriptol is another "simple" to read language that is ideal in terms of syntax. However, it will not work since it is translated several times until it is actually usable and doesn't seem to go well with the environment in which it will be used.
5. "Commands"/keywords can be added to syntax that call certain functions in the C++ binaries.
6. Objects are real objects and not tables like in LUA.

Then Squirrel is a good candidate.
http://www.squirrel-lang.org/
I looked at squirrel. The issue with that language is that it is meant to look like C. I don't want a C-like syntax because these languages use too many symbols. I am looking for a non-symbolic language (no curly braces, dollar signs, etc... that make the code less readable to the average non-programmer). The only symbols I want to use would be for indexing [], math, and objects (such as a dot to separate the object from the method). I also find the 'let" key word extraneous.

Think Basic, Lua, Python. I would use either of the last two if it weren't for their non-intuitive structures and python's extreme inefficiency and limited implementation. (No true for next loop? Come ON people).

I am fine with Basic but I can't find a modern implementation of basic that is both object oriented and platform independent.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.