• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Best or most suitable FREE source code e

Best or most suitable FREE source code editor for an intermediate.

Guys,I want to start of by saying that I'm not much of a programmer but I know a few things.
As the title suggests I want to hear from you what would be the best source code editor for a person myself, is it VSC, Notepad++, Atom or some other program?

And which one offers the easiest setup to get compilers to run/execute the files while in the respective source code editor?

I guess I should also say that I'm currently working on Python and C++ and in the near future I plan to tangle with following languages C, C#, Java, HTML, CSS, PHP.
Last edited on
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
Wanting to work with C# pushes Microsoft's Visual Studio 2015 Community to the front of the list.

More and more MS is looking at making cross-platform development easier than before.
Thanks, FurryGuy. But for now I think I'll stick to Notepad++. I actually had some problems with Np++ in the beginning, I couldn't really get it to run scripts via NppExec plugin, so I switched to Atom, but although Atom's package do allow you easy setup for compiling and running code they don't support input operators for some reason.
Fast forward some time, In the end I've managed to fix Np++ issues with running code, now it's works like a charm. But still, I'll keep in mind the option to switch or at least try MCS2015. So thanks anyway, again.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
Notepad++ is simply an editor, VS2015 is a complete development setup. Source code editor and compiler/linker in one package. Having an integrated debugger is another good feature VS2015 has.
Sublime is my favorite editor by far, the code completion for c++ isn't very good, but the multi-select and multi-edit capabilities are unsurpassed
I'd be remiss in my role as a sadist if I didn't put vim/gvim/neovim out there for consideration. Admittedly, there is a learning curve and there's plenty of plugin installation required if you want it to do anything more fun, but IMO it's worth it. Somehow.

-Albatross
I'm already working in Notepad++, but I have a feeling that I will be switching to MVS2015 sooner than I anticipated. The only downside that I see to MVS2015 is that the startup takes to long and you have to install packages for every single programming language other than C#. But I personally think it's worth it.
I like Sublime Text, coupled with the g++ compiler, and gdb.

This post is worth a look:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24109/c-ide-for-linux

I use Visual Studio Code along with clang and gdb on Linux.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.