• Forum
  • Lounge
  • 80% of companies have hired a coding boo

80% of companies have hired a coding bootcamp graduate

The vast majority of tech hiring managers and recruiters believe that coding school graduates make good technical employees. However, they also support more regulation in the industry.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/report-80-of-companies-have-hired-a-coding-bootcamp-graduate-all-said-they-would-do-it-again/
This seems to imply that tech companies find the contents of the average CS curriculum not worth their time or money. That's a little concerning. I doubt that years of formal education in a specialized field can safely be replaced by a few weeks of hacking.
Last edited on
25 years ago I had a friend who graduated from a German university after 6(?) years studying CS.
She said that she actually learned real programming when she got her first job.
Seems universities or colleges teach you lot of things normal application programmers don't need at the workplace. Programming is only a small part of CS.
Just look the exercises students get here. Writing sorting / search algorithms, pointers , lists...
What a waste of time when almost every programming language has these things built in.

I never have attended a coding boot camp so I can't say anything about the level. If it is full time I think a dedicated person can learn enough to get started at a company - especially if using a high level language.
I never have attended a coding boot camp so I can't say anything about the level. If it is full time I think a dedicated person can learn enough to get started at a company - especially if using a high level language.

I think you're right, too. But I don't think that's a good thing, and I'm not convinced that a CS education is necessarily a waste of time even in context.

I guess my lack of experience is showing.... Programming languages are supposed to be easy. That is, ease-of-use is often a design goal, and I suspect that success in this regard is why it's feasible to hire people with only a few weeks of practice.

Regardless, I think that software quality suffers thanks to a pervasive lack of rigor, which formal education seeks to repair. It's easy to teach coding, but it's not so easy to teach the levels of understanding helpful to making good design decisions. I expect that programmers without formal training are less equipped to design better software, and I'm not convinced that building (more) crappy software is sustainable.

Even if CS is only useless to normal application programmers, normal application programmers don't live in a bubble and everybody loses when bad decisions propagate. A CS curriculum should ideally train people to do software design, and for that reason I'm hesitant to dismiss it.
Last edited on
not all hope is lost, mbozzi, as that article says "41% of respondents would rather hire a candidate with a computer science degree"

(I would've said n/a to that survey because I haven't had an opportunity to hire a recent graduate of any kind in a long time.. but we do require CS fundamentals of the senior hires)
3 words: Analysis of Algorithms.

I've worked with plenty of hackers who have no clue what O of N means, and are absolutely convinced it is completely unimportant. Until their very powerful machine is brought to its knees doing a selection sort on a 1 million record array.

When you do something quick and dirty, the dirty remains long after the quick has been forgotten.
Last edited on
This seems to imply that tech companies find the contents of the average CS curriculum not worth their time or money. That's a little concerning. I doubt that years of formal education in a specialized field can safely be replaced by a few weeks of hacking.

I think this touches on it (watched it back in like January):

Computer Science vs Self-Taught vs Coding Bootcamp (ft. Quincy Larson)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FioceDs7JA
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.