Keyboard Recommendation

I want to recommend this keyboard to everyone: https://www.hyperxgaming.com/en/keyboards/alloy-fps-mechanical-gaming-keyboard
This is not endorsed or anything like that, I just bought it a few days ago and I liked it so much that I wanted to write this.

I got the numpad version with Cherry MX Blues. This was my first time trying Cherry switches. I tested Reds and Browns at the store too, but I instantly knew I didn't like them. I bought it for work to replace a used Model M that I was unable to repair after a tea spill (I've fixed membrane liquid shorts before, but by the time I got to the plastic rivets, I gave up).

Compared to the Model M, the typing I'd say feels even better than the buckling spring switches. The more modern key selection is also much more useful for overall computer use. In particular the lack of a Windows key, menu key, and multimedia keys on the Model M were very annoying. Also, the Model M is gigantic. My desk isn't that big as it is, with two monitor bases right next to each other (I use them in portrait), and the Model M didn't help things at all.
For typing, I can absolutely recommend this keyboard. Both the tactile and audible feedback are great.

For gaming, eh. It's kind of so-so. First of all, I noticed a habit of mine that when I stop moving I leave the key slightly pressed down from its top position. With my usual keyboard at home this isn't a problem because it doesn't register the keypress until just about the very bottom, but with these switches, which have the acutation point roughly halfway down, I kept moving accidentally. Having such a high actuation point also makes double-tapping slower and more difficult, because you have to release the key futher before it'll register the key-up. This is actually a problem outside of games, too, for example when you want to navigate lists or sources by tapping rather than holding.

Pros:
* Great for typing of any kind, not so great for interactive applications, but still not bad.

* Love the minimalistic design both aesthetically and practically; no edges = no hair and crumbs inside your keyboard. I just wish they had gone further and made a white version without LEDs. Actually, I'd like it in beige (like, "beige box" beige), but I know you can't sell beige computer hardware nowadays.

* Really solid construction. No give at all to twisting or bending. The cable feels really high quality as well and can be easily replaced if necessary, too. Also, the keyboard comes with a carrying bag that feels really nice.

Cons:
* Although I like minimalism, I don't like minimalism at the expense of practicality. I really wish they'd made it a little bit bigger and added separate multimedia keys (as well as a "stop" key, which it doesn't even have). I'm not a big fan of laptop-style function keys in desktop keyboards, and I'm really not a big fan of having them on the right side. I mean, put both the function key and the special keys on the right side? What's the big idea? I don't think I have small hands, but I can barely reach the F9-F12 cluster while holding the function key with my thumb, and I definitely can't reach the F5-F8 cluster like that.

* Just a single Windows key. Again, to hell with function keys. Also, sure, screw with my muscle memory by putting Menu next to Control rather than next to AltGr.

* From an ergonomic sitting position, I simply cannot see the num lock and caps lock LEDs. Since they like LEDs so much, why not just indicate the status on the key caps rather than on the keyboard body? And while I'm talking about those LEDs, why no scroll lock LED? I know no one uses that key anymore, but I'd still like to know what state it's in.

Things I don't care about one way or the other:
* It has several modes for the keycap LEDs.
* It has a USB port at the back for charging (it doesn't work with USB drives).
* It has a switch that turns off the Windows key. I've never, ever hit that key by accident while gaming.
* It has a switch to change between 6- and n-key rollover. Is there any reason someone would want 6-key rollover but not n-key rollover?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
My favourite keyboard at the moment is a Dell RT7D50 but then I have simple needs.
A keyboard thread? Nice. I've owned multiple mechanical keyboards and the one I really like right now is the tenkeyless Leopold FC750R with MX silent red switches. The keyboard is extremely quiet. It's more quiet than the rubber dome keyboards even though it's a mechanical keyboard. I've gone through clicky keyboards. IMO, I think the more silent switches are better.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.