how and where to start coding

I'm not familiar with c++ but then I wanted to learn it, I have installed a Microsoft Visual C++ but I don't know where to write my codes and how to run it. Unlike html, I wrote code in notepad and save it as .html and there will be a executable icon already. Please help me. tnx.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Have a look at this tutorial, it may be what you are looking for:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/showtopic49569.htm

HTH
You firstave to make a new project and then add .cpp files in it to write your code.

The following is from the help files of Visual C++ Express Edition:

To create a new project and add a source file
Create a new project:

On the File menu, point to New, and then click Project….

From the Visual C++ project types, click Win32, and then click Win32 Console Application.

Enter a project name.

By default, the solution that contains the project has the same name as the new project, but you can enter a different name. You can enter a different location for the project if you want.

Click OK to create the new project.

In the Win32 Application Wizard, select Empty Project and click Finish.

If Solution Explorer is not visible, click Solution Explorer on the View menu.

Add a new source file to the project:

Right-click on the Source Files folder in Solution Explorer, point to Add, and click New Item.

Click C++ File (.cpp) from the Code node, enter a file name, and then click Add.

The .cpp file appears in the Source Files folder in Solution Explorer and a tabbed window appears where you type in the code.

You can add your code in there.
Then to run your program go to menu Debug -> Start Debugging (shortcut F5).
If you create console applications after you run them it will automatically close. To prevent that you can run from Debug -> Start Without Debugging (Shift + F5) but with this option you wont have the debbuging options (if you use them)...

There is also this video tutorial from microsoft that explains all these things:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/msdn/beginner/IntroVS2008Express/IntroVCpp2008Express.wvx

Hope it helps.
thank you so much. I'm already starting coding.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.