• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Asking for opinions about The C++ Progra

Asking for opinions about The C++ Programming Language (4th edition), or changes since C++11

closed account (2z0kLyTq)
I have not programmed in C++ in roughly 10 years. I'm not a professional programmer but I do program in perl and VB scripts almost daily in my work.

I have the need to write something with a little better performance than I can get with those scripting languages. Almost everything I do is text processing which is the reason I usually use perl.

So I've started brushing up on my C++. I own the book, "The C++ Programming Language (4th ed)," but when I bought it, I didn't really read it because because perl was capable at that time of solving all my text processing problems.

HERE IS THE QUESTION:

Is there anything that I would find in that book, that is better off ignored because of something that has been added since C++11.
Last edited on
C++14 does not add much to the language, so the only thing you will be missing is C++17, and few deprecated API's.

you can always learn C++14, 17 by googling out new language features.

since the book covers C++11 it is not considered seriously outdated, otherwise you would be learning as B. Stroustrup says "vintage C++" (that is pre C++11 language)

beside that, I personally don't think the book is perfect for learning on it own, because it's too technical, it feels like reading the standard.
Is there anything that I would find in that book, that is better off ignored because of something that has been added since C++11.

I can think of one item that was deprecated in C++14 and removed in C++17. Whether it is in the book or not IDK.

std::random_shuffle in <algorithm>.

Replaced by the IMO much superior std::shuffle (added in C++11) that uses a random engine from <random> instead of the C library rand().

https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/algorithm/random_shuffle
closed account (2z0kLyTq)
Thank you Furry Guy. I probably should have not mentioned the book.
I only mentioned the book because it is one that isn't in my library. :)

I have Saint Bjarne's other book: Programming Principles and Practices Using C++, 2nd Edition.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.