Good Linux Netbook

Pages: 12
Hi there, I'm considering purchasing a netbook, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good netbook running a Linux OS (not much preference here, I don't care if its Ubuntu or SUSE, but please not Mandriva). I've taken a look at System76, but there starting price for a starling is almost $400, and from what I've heard the battery life is lacking. Good battery life is essential, more than anything else. I need to be able to get a good 5-6 hours out of it, at a minimum. I was hoping not to go past $300. As far as system specs go, I''d like a minimum of 1 gig of DDR3 ram, and a 250gb or more hard drive and 1.66 GHz processor or more. There are about the specs of the HP Mini 210, but sadly it only runs windows :-( Thank you!
Last edited on
What's stopping you from wiping the drive on the HP and installing your own OS? I have three guys in my office that have done that with ASUS netbooks and haven't looked back. Finding the drivers is a pain, but you *nix guys are used to that right ;).
I wouldn't really describe myself as a *nix guy, I started using Ubuntu 11.04 a few months ago through VMware and fell in love :o I honestly just don't trust myself enough to do it. I also don't want to pay for Windows 7 just to wipe it. I just wish they would allow you to buy the computer with no OS :(
Finding the drivers is a pain
PROTIP: find the drivers before buying the hardware. Don't buy anything until you have the drivers for it.
What do you mean helios? Find the drivers I would need to run linux on it before I bought it?
Yes.

I also don't want to pay for Windows 7 just to wipe it. I just wish they would allow you to buy the computer with no OS :(
You could build it yourself. Although I don't know how hard it is to find netbook components.
Most manufacturers have contracts that require them to setup an OS in exchange for cheap OEM pricing on the software. That's why you don't see alternatives around--because they're fighting to retain market share.
Haha, there is no way in hell I could build my own computer. I don't know the first thing when it comes to CE. I might just go with the starling, since it's expensive but it comes with 2GB of DDR3 ram, which is awesome. Does anyone know what the battery life on it is like with a 3 cell?
Do you have any computer part shops around you? There's a place by me (locally owned) that will build a PC for me by my specs. They also will build it without installing an OS.
As far as I know, no there aren't any good computer part shops that would build a custom netbook. I'd have to look around some though. I'm leaning towards just buying the HP Mini and wiping Windows 7 off of it to install Ubuntu 11.04, but I can't find any good tutorials for it online!
Why would you need a tutorial? Install it via a usb flash drive.
It's more complicated than that when you're actually reformatting the entire hard drive and installing a new operating system. You have to set up the drivers to work with your new OS as opposed to the one that was installed before.
Last edited on
You mean that it may be more complicated than that.
@OP: Just make a backup image of your Win7 on a portable HDD, so that if you screwed up your Ubuntu installation you can revert back to M$.
As for driver issues, the hardest would probably be finding a wireless driver for the wifi -of course it's better that you prepare a list of the drivers that you need beforehand.
Lastly, why Ubuntu? Interested in Linux Mint? I'd recommend the LXDE 10 (or even the LXDE 11 rc):
http://www.linuxmint.com/

...and no, it's no more complicated than installing a windoze OS ;-)
I get the feeling you have no idea what you're talking about.

EDIT: In case it's not clear, I was replying to ascii. I didn't notice other people had already replied.
Last edited on
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I think everybody's forgetting that most Linux distributions run as Live media as well. He can boot up into a live session, mess around make sure everything's working, check the `lshw' output for any missing drivers and *then* decide if he wants to go through with installing it.

Linux pro-tip: With the exception of proprietary Graphic Card drivers, usually, if something doesn't work when you first install it...it won't ever work, at least until a future version of the Linux kernel includes drivers by default.

Even then, Ubuntu makes it extremely simple to enable *some* proprietary drivers.
Last edited on
Hell yes I have no idea what I'm talking about. As for why Ubuntu, I chose it since I like the Unity desktop, it's supposedly
easiest to install, and I was able to emulate it easily with VMware player. If it isn't clear, I'm trying to do what Computergeek01 said in the first reply to this thread. I want Ubuntu to be the only OS on the computer, not emulated or dual booting. So could someone please explain to me exactly the process involved in taking an HP mini 210 running Windows 7 starter, and reformatting the drive and installing the drivers so that the computer only runs Ubuntu 11.04 as the OS, no longer Windows 7 so I don't need a USB or anything to start up in Ubuntu. Thank you
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
1. When you click on "Install Ubuntu" and get through the first couple of screens, there will be an option along the lines of "Erase everything and install Ubuntu", choose that.
2. ?????
3. profit
1. Begin installation.
2. When choosing partitioning, delete the NTFS partition and let the installer do the partitioning by itself. The installer may also have an option to "use entire disk" or something like that that will do this automatically for you.
3. Finish installation.
4. Once the installation is finished, install your drivers.
The computer should still be mostly usable without them, but some hardware (e.g. webcam) may not work, or some special features (e.g. 3D acceleration) may be disabled. Some drivers require development tools such as gcc, make, or Linux kernel headers to be installed. Check the documentation. Avoid installing bleeding edge kernels, as manufacturers are slower to update their Linux drivers. It may be advisable to pick an older version, depending on the vendor.
Son of a bitch...

Thank you! I guess all I need to do now is find all the drivers I need. I won't have Internet for 3 1/2 weeks starting tomorrow, but I'll see what I can do when I get back.
Pages: 12