registry cleaner

Can anyone recommend one? I'm quite paranoid that a registry cleaner is going to mess up my computer but I feel it would be a good idea since I've went through a lot of different programs over the last two years I've had my computer.

Thanks.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Crap Cleaner
http://www.piriform.com/
closed account (zb0S216C)
The registry (hives) is a vital part of the OS and the slightest mistake can bring down the system. Software, on the other hand, may be performing some operation on the registry that you don't know about.

I won't recommend any software for system stability reasons. I posted this warning for you to read, and maybe you'll understand why registry modification is a serious thing.

Wazzak
Last edited on
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I've used CCleaner for years and I've never had a single issue. It also allows you to backup your registry before you clean it as well, though I've never had to restore it.
Linux is also a pretty good one ;)
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Registry modification is a serious thing but if you are at the point of asking about it there must be a reason. If your registry does need some TLC then your choices are limited. Do nothing, try to clean it, or reinstall.

CCleaner is trustable, I have used it many times over the years.
I do feel it shouldn't be something to be messed with without the right tool. The reason I would want to do it is because I have installed and uninstalled a lot of software since I bought my computer and I seem to have a lot of space taken up on my hard drive that I can't account for. I think I may give that CCleaner a try.
The registry is not as fragile as every one makes it out to be; don't be afraid. If it needs done, it needs done. A clean install is the preferred way to clean up your system, though. Consider Ubuntu as a free alternative.
I just tried CCleaner. It seems like it worked great. It cleaned about 1.5 gigs worth of crap off my system and everything is fine. Thanks for the suggestions.
+1 to moorecm the registry is a collection of text files, that's it. It can be backed up modified and restored fairly easily so don't be too afraid to play around in it.

When was the last time you ran "cleanmgr"? That's built into Windows and will automatically check a lot of the common problem areas on your OS.
I've always had great success with msconfig on XP systems. You can find out what runs at startup and there are sites online that let you look up the filenames to see if it's something you need or not. I don't have any experience with Windows 7, yet (I run Ubuntu exclusively at home).
Linux is also a pretty good one ;)

Happy birthday version 3.
Die Ubuntu, Die Die Die.
Linux 3.0 is out?
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
@chrisname: that is exactly what I ran through my head when I read catfish's post.
No need for excitement, Linus just decided to bump up the version number because Linux has been at version 2 for so long.

As already mentioned several times, there are no special landmark
features or incompatibilities related to the version number change,
it's simply a way to drop an inconvenient numbering system in honor of
twenty years of Linux.

-Linus Torvalds

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/7/21/455
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.