• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Can i learn c++ on my own and get a job?

Can i learn c++ on my own and get a job?

im 14 and im teaching myself c++ with books and such and practice lots and lots of practice on my compiler and questions on forums like these once im planning on trying everything in c++ to console to gui and to games so if i practice till i graduate high school will i have the knowledge of a college graduate and will i be able to get a job? i really appreciate your advice!
closed account (Gz64jE8b)
I'm also 15 learning with books and tutorials (this web site too).

The younger you start the better, you'll have a harder time getting a job without a computer science/programming degree.

I'd recommend going to college and getting a degree (plus if you already know half of the stuff it'll be easier anyway.)
I'd also reccommend that you work extremely hard on math.

Trust me, if you are looking to make games, math is really helpful.
Good points by Mohammed Abdul and Ben Duncan.

It's really really useful to start programming at early age (14 is quite good).

Daily build your skills. Sites as SPOJ, UVa and TopCoder are a good places to excercise. At least do not miss a week without solving a trivial problem.

Maths will help you a lot through your work, Especially in game development. (Especially Linear Algebra, at least for me).

And for college degree, A CS major in your resume adds to your value (in their eyes).

At Early age, don't bother yourself with learning too many languages. Instead, learn a living in-use language that influences other living languages. Thus C++ is perfect. Then try to learn some programming concepts and paradigms, start with basics like OOP up to meta-programming, Dynamic Programming, Memoization and other higher level concepts.

Introduce yourself to different data structures and algorithms, this enhances the quality of your code.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.