Age for Programming

Pages: 123
The reason I don't want to make another Linux distro is because there's already a ton of them out there, I want to introduce something new, and hopefully better, and I can expect for people to question it, people have been doing it since we where first making OS's, I can't guarantee I'll be successful, but I won't know if I don't try, and I still have a lot to learn before I'll be able to accomplish a feat like that, Ive thought about starting out by making my own Linux distro, but in the end I wanna make something new.
the price you pay is for a very good music program

I really hope you're not referring to iTunes, because iTunes is a steaming pile.
Firstly, do you want to write a kernel (the part of the operating system that manages resources and processes and such) or the userland (everything else)? I ask this because you wouldn't say Android was a Linux distro, but it does run on the Linux kernel.

Secondly, how long have you been programming? I've toyed with writing kernels myself and it is easily the hardest thing I've (n)ever (successfully) done. Personally I would rate compiler development as "probably harder" because I don't understand how it works at all, whereas kernel development is more easy to understand.

http://wiki.osdev.org/Beginner_Mistakes
Once I understood enough about computer science and software development to really know what subjects I enjoyed most I was able to pick out a few things that I would kill to be able to do for a living.

1) OS Dev. It would be amazing if I could work for one of the major OS producers out there, either somewhere in their core dev team or in their research department.

2) Research, specifically Artificial Intelligence. I always loved cyberpunk fantasies that involve a blurring of man and machine and somewhere down the road I realized that's because of how much a life-like machine fascinates me.

3)Video Game development. Like most kids these days, it's what got me started with programming. It kind of blossomed from there into what I've got now.

I've dabbled a bit in all three of these fields, out of them my only completed project was a 2D game engine designed for RPGs in the spirit of SNES era games, written in C# and extended with Python. Kernel development was an all out disaster, though that might have been because I didn't know a lick of assembly at the time :P. And AI research, I've started a small project that I hope will grow substantially over the years, but beyond that I haven't done much but learn.

Now I bring all this up because I wanted to point out what I've accomplished and what I've attempted before I give the ages I attempted them at. I only really got into programming and Comp Sci when I was 14. I started that Game engine when I was 16 and finished it last year. During that time I attempted the Kernel Dev. I'm 19 and I've just started this AI Project.

So, to answer the OPs question. I started young (IMHO), and in the 5 years I've really been at it I've come a long way and still have a long way to go. I suggest starting (or at least start learning) as soon as you become curious as to how software works, or get that itch to make something awesome. If you're like me, and the best way for you to learn is to AIM high, give a project your best, and fail miserably due to how far out of your range your target was, then I suggest going for it. Try to write a Kernel, and learn from your mistakes as you go. I mean, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right?
All three of those are interests of mine, as well.

What is your AI project about? I've been thinking about AI recently. Mostly about unifying related AI technologies - computer vision, OCR, speech recognition, speech synthesis, computer learning - into one program. I would be using libraries already written where possible. I think it would be very difficult to achieve, though.

As for kernel development... It is something I've tried and tried again. I'm trying again now, although this time I'm staying as far away from UNIX clones as possible. I'm trying to think of an unusual language and paradigm for OS development (not functional, I don't understand functional, and OOP has been done before). Speaking of which, does anyone have any suggestions (unusual language and paradigm for a kernel)?
@Disch
I'm with you apple's software is crap

@chrisname
I would like to eventually code a kernel, but I want to also do the userland stuff also.

@xander337
ya, like I said, I dont know if I'll be successful, it would be nice, but I also like the feeling of accomplishment if I can do it, even if its not successful in the market, I would still be able to say "I did that, and not a whole lot of people can", and I just wish I had had a chance to get into computers earlier
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
c0d3Man15 wrote:
@Disch
I'm with you apple's software is crap
Of course it is... in the same way that Microsoft software is crap and Adobe Software is crap and so on and so forth.
cups (Common UNIX Printing System) is written by Apple, and that's pretty good.
I should correct myself, most of Apple's software is crap, every company releases crap programs, but how often and which companies program is crappier is a different ballgame, personally I think most of Apple's software is crap, but someone else may believe that Microsoft's software is crap, or Adobe's, personally if I had to choose between Windows Media Player and Itunes, I would pick Windows Media Player over Itunes, but I think they both suck, WMP just doesnt suck quite as bad is all.
Have you used all of Apple's software? Because if you haven't, then I don't know on what authority you venture to say all (or even most) of it sucks.
All I said was iTunes sucks. And yes I've used iTunes. And yes it sucks.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
Disch, I think that chrisnames comments are aimed at c0d3Man15.

I personally have never had problems with iTunes and find it preferable to other media players that I have tried...but I wouldn't say the others suck or are crap, just that I don't like them.
wtf? I had post a response to chrisname, but it completely disappeared, that sux, it was long, anyways yes I have used apples software, a lot of different software, even natively on an old powerbook g3 I have, and I corrected myself to most cause your right, I havent used all of their software, but what I have used I personally thought was crap, but thats just my opinion, Im not trying to change your opinion, Im just stating mine, its nothing to get upset over
@Disch,
I agree, iTunes does suck (although I wonder if it sucks as much on a Mac, i.e., pre-porting). My comments weren't aimed at you.

@c0d3Man15
I'm not getting "upset", I'm just making the point that you shouldn't make such sweeping generalisations. I actually strongly dislike Apple.
The "other" music program (GarageBand) also sucks (and I HAVE used it). I think there's a reason for that, seeing as Apple also has a higher-end music studio.

As for iTunes, after all that I've heard about it I've never used it. What about it is so terrible?

-Albatross
Last edited on
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
For me, it boils down to the god awful user-interface and many useless features.
For me, as a user of it on windows, it's how they force a bunch of additional software that just sit around eating up your ram through it. Good luck using the most recent iTunes if you don't want bonjour, quicktime or any of the 10 other processes that are launched with it.
thats one of the bigger things I don't like about mac, they have those god awful high system requirements because they have a bunch of junk you dont need sitting their idle, and second, the only reason that mac's are "virus proof" is because the user amounts arent high enough for the crackers to care yet, they're gona make a virus for the most popular system caus that means less work for them, and if most people are windows users that means all they have to do is make a virus for windows and *boom* they have a ton of people who can be affected, but as the mac popularity rate goes up, those crackers will start to turn their attention towards mac also, then they will feel the harassment and hardships that windows users have faced for a long time
Eh, you're wrong about ALL of that.
define "all"
Pages: 123