How to prepare for Job Interview

How does one prepare for a job interview?

Since most interviews ask C, and C++ with algorithms, and pointers.

anyone know good books or resource to brush up on it.

for algorithm i really don't like CLRS, its good for long course but not so for reviews.
Project Euler has a bunch of problems that could be used for brushing up on your skills:

http://projecteuler.net/problems
I had a four interviews and four of these programming tests before I was given my current job and they all contained the same kinds of questions. The most common ones in my experience were:

Write a basic linked list
write a function that reverses a linked list/write a function that reverses a C string in place
Convert a given function to a template function

And every one of them that I took had a question to do with classes with virtual destructors, asking you to write the order that the constructors and destructors are called in various examples.

It's not all about programming questions though you should prepare for competency based questions too.

The book stuff is always good to know, but don't forget the interview basics.

Appearance is king, if you come in looking like a slob they might put you through the motions of the interview but they will have dismissed you already as a canidate.

Make sure you're up a few hours before the interview, yes this means that if the interview happens to be at 6 AM then get up at 4 but never stay up all night. You should make sure that you have enough time to go through your morning routine, a light workout, shower, brush your teeth, if you're male then shave wiether you think you need it or not try to make it to a barber for this but if you can't then always use a fresh razor to avoid cuts.

When you meet the interviewer smile like they are a good friend that you haven't seen in a while, the hardest part about this is not coming off as creepy. Your SO will be the best one to help you with finding the right look.

This one might spark an argument but I'll say it anyway, if you have Carpal Tunnel DO NOT wear your wrist brace to the interview. It might suck for a few minutes but it's better then showing up looking like you're already injured.

I just thought that everyone else here would be covering the programming interview questions so I'd add this as my contribution.
Thank you everyone, I have been practicing questions in the Euler projects (down side is i have been using python to do them)

quirkyusername thank you, i will go over them again just to make sure i am up to date on them

and Computergeek01 thanks so much, you are right mostly people do give programming advice, i am glad you gave me some advice about how to show up at an interview.

if anyone have anymore tips or resource please do tell me, also do they ask a lot of probability questions?
like choosing x amount of ball out of p balls, w/ order and such stuff
Personality is key. Anyone can write a program. Not everyone has a favorable personality. I'm not saying sit there and tell jokes the whole time, but don't be afraid to laugh. Basically, be serious when it's time to be serious, and laugh when it's time to laugh. Being a programmer isn't like the cliche - sit in a basement with no light and never see anyone - kind of job. If you can't communicate, it doesn't matter how bright you may be.

Did you go to a school? Major? If so, be sure to come in with letters of recommendation from professors. I'd say at least 2.

Another thing, don't feel rushed with the logic and/or programming questions they may ask. Programming isn't a "twitch reflex" job. They will be more impressed that you take your time to get the right answer than they will be if you try to give them an answer in 3 seconds that's wrong.
On a related note, bring your own pencil and notebook. Not only for working out problems, but for note taking during the interview. And come with a list of questions to ask them.
You want to leave this interview with them wanting you just as much you want them. And if they ask all the questions, they are going to feel like you don't really want it that much.

If you went to college for CS related major, you should have had plenty of math so the math questions they would ask shouldn't be a big deal for you.
It doesn't really matter what language you use on Project Euler. It's more about the algorithm development and logic than it is about language specific syntax.

Here's a couple of links
http://www.cprogramming.com/jobs/job_interview.html

This one is kind of dated, and may come across as harsh but it does have some good advice
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000073.html
OH! And if you have a portfolio of programs you've made or worked on, bring that. Put the executable of a couple of them on a disc or flash drive (make sure they work cross-platform, it would be pretty embarrassing if they put it in and it doesnt work) and I'd have a hard copy of the source of at least one program so they can see exactly how you program. And if you have a website with your work, provide that link for them as well
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.