Quantum Computing

So for a class this semester we have to do a research paper on something related to computer development. I decided to go the quantum computing path, because it seems pretty cool, albeit pretty complex as well. Anyway, I'm having no problem finding info on this through various websites, but I sure can't find a decent book on it. Anyone have any ideas? Also accepting any cool links and knowledge you all have on the topic.
Last edited on
Hmm. I sense some, distaste? Why?
Where do you sense distaste? From me? From the wiki? From Notch? I'm all into quantum stuff and computers ;)
Haha alright man. Go troll elsewhere
I'm also failing to see exactly where the distaste in LB's post lies. At any rate, I feel that even if LB was displaying sarcastic unenthusiasm, that was no reason to report him. :(

-Albatross
Last edited on
Well I asked a question. If LB wants be some sarcastic ass hole, he can do so elsewhere.
I'm not being sarcastic! Nor am I trolling you. Where in the world did you get that idea in your head? I have very limited knowledge of quantum computing so I'm sorry if I sound like I am trolling you, but I am NOT.
Last edited on
The fine detail is that I highly doubt that he was sarcastic at all. The applications and abilities of quanitum computing are actually quite interesting, and those three links demonstrate them very effectively.

EDIT: What he said.

-Albatross
Last edited on
Hmm came across as trolling. Posting a few entirely useless links related to jokes in the field?
@ResidentBiscuit

You may want to rethink your definition of trolling. While the links L B provided may not have been extremely concise in description of quantum computing, the idea of a bogosort running O(n) is a big deal. What exactly are you looking for? Last I heard quantum computing is still very hypothetical (If I'm wrong please tell me).

EDIT: Even if (big if) he was being sarcastic, that's really no reason to report someone.
Last edited on
L B's post actually perfectly summarizes my view/understanding of Quantum Computing.
So for a class this semester we have to do a research paper on something related to computer development. I decided to go the quantum computing path ...

An essay... predicting the future. Good luck.

Anyway. I think any quantum computer would actually be a hybrid computer.
Because even if by its nature it can have multiple states at the same time, for all practical purposes, the data will be in a one single state.

That, or I completely missed the point.
I've always wondered about that. They keep mentioning "qubits", but how are they represented physically?

@Bizkit (Yes, I'm spelling it 'bizkit' from now on!)
When your paper is finished, are you allowed to post it here? I'd love an introduction to QC.

By the way, MIT-OCW has two courses concerning QC:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-845-quantum-complexity-theory-fall-2010/
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-435j-quantum-computation-fall-2003/

I find their course readings generally a good level for a beginner, but I haven't touched these yet. Might be worth checking out, as they often refer to further reading too.
I thought there was something to do with being on, off, both, or neither, thus allowing base 4 quantum binary. Though again, I have very little knowledge on this subject, all I know is what I've seen on NOVA. (and boy do they dumb it down a lot)
I'm not sure about both/neither. I thought it was only one "superstate" of being 'onoff'. I don't see a difference between both/neither. Either way, it's a state of betweenness.
They keep mentioning "qubits", but how are they represented physically?

Qubits are physically represented in a variety of ways, one of them is by the wave behavior of particles - because the qubit principle was actually an analogy of that very same thing. Instead of directions of electrons (causing pulses), one could say qubits are represented by the electrons themselves.

I've done a presentation on some basic things involving quantum computers, I could look if I still have it somewhere.
Last I heard quantum computing is still very hypothetical

They have actually made a few working quantum computers. IBM has funded a few different research projects at Yale and UC - Santa Barbara. Both of which have created working quantum computers, just with less than a dozen qubits. A company called D-Wave has also supposedly created a working 50+ qubit working computer, though people claim it doesn't have true entanglement. But, they have created a 16 bit qubit computer with true entanglement

An essay... predicting the future. Good luck.

Eh, it's more of just an essay on the theory an proposed possibilities of it. A long with my own theories/wishes :)

Because even if by its nature it can have multiple states at the same time, for all practical purposes, the data will be in a one single state.

This has actually been one of the biggest issues of it. Even though, like you said, it can act in multiple states at the same time, the moment you "touch" one to view it, it is going to be in one state. There is a workaround for this, ie entanglement. It's just not an easy task to manage large numbers of entangled qubits.

When your paper is finished, are you allowed to post it here? I'd love an introduction to QC.

Yea when it's finished I'll post it up in the articles.

@Kyon
I've done a presentation on some basic things involving quantum computers, I could look if I still have it somewhere.

If you happen to find it, I'd love to look at it :D

@LB
I apologize for the report. You just caught me in a bad time, I guess I wasn't in the mood for humor :/
I'm not sure about both/neither. I thought it was only one "superstate" of being 'onoff'. I don't see a difference between both/neither. Either way, it's a state of betweenness.

The states of a qubit can be represented best using a Bloch Sphere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloch_sphere). If a classical bit was represented on this sphere, it could only be at the North or south pole, |0> and |1> in bar-ket notation. While a pure qubit state can be at any point on the surface. How ever, it is possible to put a qubit in a mixed state, which would be represented by points inside the block sphere.

So basically, there are infinitely many states for a qubit. (i think)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.