Groan...

closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Let me start off by saying: I hate any hardware that can break without using a hammer on it.

Quote Reference: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?235304-How-do-I-install-a-1156-CPU-%28i5-750%29-without-bending-pins

Every single pin is suppose to be bent slightly. If one is not bent, bent the opposite way, or bent too much, that's when you have a problem. If every pin in your socket is bent equally then everything is fine.

They're not supposed to be pointing straight up. They should be at a slight angle. They "spring" against the bottom of the CPU, not point straight at it.

I was assembling the motherboard tonight and when I pulled back on the CPU socket cover, I noticed that the pins weren't quite straight. Then being the moron that I am, read that quote on that site and thought to myself... "So should I screw around with trying to get it RMA'd or just go for it?" I went for it.

Finished assembling it all and fired it up.

1) CPU LED is red
2) System cycles on and off every 3 seconds.
3) CPU Fan is delayed to kick on
4) No POST

I immediately suspected the CPU and pulled it back off to discover that all of the pins seem to have been bent even more...ALL OF THEM! One thing is rather odd however. Half of the pins are bent in 1 direction and half are bent the other direction. From how simple the installation process is, it really seems impossible to be able to make a mistake with it...the CPU and socket are notched so it only goes in one way...but I don't suppose that matters warranty-wise anymore.

Now I'm screwed. :\

Are there any other troubleshooting steps that I should take before ordering another motherboard? If not, there goes next week's overtime... :(

Ah hell, the CPU was still powered from the main connector on the last system that I built. I guess these modern computers have a dedicated CPU power connection. Who'd have guessed? What's even worse -- WHY WASN'T THAT STEP IN THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL ! ! !
Last edited on
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.